PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

iamrebecca
Tue, Feb-07-12, 10:21
I just realized that I am not just sad, but really angry that I have allowed myself to reach nearly 400 pounds. Every day is miserable. My knees hurt every day; sometimes just a nagging reminder of the weight and other times (like right now) when I can barely walk to my bathroom without crying out in pain. I've been doing a lot of reflection on my life lately and have come to realize that I've stopped living and have just been marking time...time until I die. What a depressing commentary on my life, but it's true. Now, I'm tired of being miserable; tired of not living. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I realize it took 16 years to gain this weight and it's not going to come off overnight. I have overcome drug addiction, alcoholism and smoking - not it's time to overcome my food addiction...one meal at a time. I've done Atkins before with good results (usually lose 50 lbs in 4 months), but I have never made it past four months; hence, the "one meal at a time" comment above. Anyways, I've probably overshared, but being open has never been a problem for me.

Sam Knox
Tue, Feb-07-12, 12:06
Hey, Rebecca.

Welcome to the forums.

:wave:

becky7474
Tue, Feb-07-12, 12:35
:wave: Welcome! One bite at a time, one step at a time. You will get there.

Buttoni
Tue, Feb-07-12, 13:04
Welcome Rebecca. You've come to the right place for support and guidance to help you reach your goal, for sure. Careful planning and diligence on your part will get you to where you want to be. The well-informed members here will help in anyway they can.

lovemypets
Tue, Feb-07-12, 13:04
I hear you loud and clear Rebecca
You can do this though
Keep on the path and don't give up

Start a journal here and come everyday for support
there is a lot of it here
everyone wants you to succeed

Chart your food.... you can use "My Plan" on this site
Drink your water

Just keep going.... even when the scale isn't moving, because it will move again

When I started 9 months ago.... I also had a lot on my plate
100 to lose
I joined the 5 pound challenge thread on here and took it 5 pounds at a time

You'll start to feel so much better

Hope to see you around!!!

iamrebecca
Tue, Feb-07-12, 13:55
Thanks for the welcome.

Hey, Rebecca.

Welcome to the forums.

:wave:

iamrebecca
Tue, Feb-07-12, 13:58
:wave: Welcome! One bite at a time, one step at a time. You will get there.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm taking it one meal at a time.

iamrebecca
Tue, Feb-07-12, 13:59
Welcome Rebecca. You've come to the right place for support and guidance to help you reach your goal, for sure. Careful planning and diligence on your part will get you to where you want to be. The well-informed members here will help in anyway they can.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. It was great to see a post from you, I spent a lot of time on your blog yesterday. :)

iamrebecca
Tue, Feb-07-12, 14:01
You can do this though

Drink your water

Just keep going.... even when the scale isn't moving, because it will move again

100 to lose

Thanks for all of the tips. I drink about a gallon of water every day. Ever since I started drinking it, I can't get enough. I did chart my food and that was an eye-opener, but great for increasing awareness. I'm taking this journey one meal at a time.

Mama Sebo
Tue, Feb-07-12, 14:40
Hi Rebecca! Welcome! Everybody above has said good things, its always great to have someone new join. I hear you about the sheer pain involved with being substantially over weight -- I still have a ways to go, but I have felt the improvement in my hips and back, and especially my ankles which used to give me alot of problems. Now I'm floundering a bit, but I keep up my posting and keep working toward getting back in my "groove" so that I can lose the rest.

Now you can go to the journals section and start your journal before you get too invested in your posts here on the 'introduce yourself' section. Again, welcome!!

BlueEyes2
Wed, Feb-08-12, 12:57
Hi Rebecca! This is the best eating plan I know. It's satisfying and gives us freedom to live. It truly is a lifestyle choice.

I read your message and history and what stood out to me isn't necessarily overt. You've struggled to hide pain, hence the former addictions. Your character shines through because you took steps to rid yourself of them. Gosh, what an amazing person you are!

I don't want you to be disgusted, angry or sad about your current weight. You were learning how to cope and live and the fact you are addressing it now is something about which to give yourself a pat on the back! You have the strength to do this because you've done some amazing things already! Treat it like a lifestyle and not a diet.

What you are doing shows great strength and I am in awe of you. I wish you much success on your journey!

iamrebecca
Wed, Feb-08-12, 20:47
Hi Rebecca! This is the best eating plan I know. It's satisfying and gives us freedom to live. It truly is a lifestyle choice.

I read your message and history and what stood out to me isn't necessarily overt. You've struggled to hide pain, hence the former addictions. Your character shines through because you took steps to rid yourself of them. Gosh, what an amazing person you are!

I don't want you to be disgusted, angry or sad about your current weight. You were learning how to cope and live and the fact you are addressing it now is something about which to give yourself a pat on the back! You have the strength to do this because you've done some amazing things already! Treat it like a lifestyle and not a diet.

What you are doing shows great strength and I am in awe of you. I wish you much success on your journey!

You have my heartfelt thanks. I really needed to hear your words today. I know now that my addiction to food is killing me, but I beat all of those things one day at a time (sometimes one hour at time), so I am going to take it one meal at a time.

Thanks again,

Rebecca

JEY100
Thu, Feb-09-12, 04:57
Rebecca, you have come to a very caring place. Forums can help you stay on track, give you encouragement and advice, so that you will go beyond 4 months to make it a lifetime change.

That said, I notice you are in Goldsboro. One of the authors of the New Atkins book is at Duke, and he runs a clinic and support group there. His program is based an earlier version of Atkins, which you can find in the appendix of the excellent book, Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. That book is now in paperback, or you can find it at your library, and I highly recommend it and Dr. Westman's program. All the Best to you,

Buttoni
Thu, Feb-09-12, 21:45
Hey, I didn't notice you're in Goldsboro, Rebecca. I was BORN in Goldsboro! Used to have a number of relatives there, but none still living, sadly. Most have moved to Mt. Olive or beyond.

iamrebecca
Fri, Feb-10-12, 07:08
Hey, I didn't notice you're in Goldsboro, Rebecca. I was BORN in Goldsboro! Used to have a number of relatives there, but none still living, sadly. Most have moved to Mt. Olive or beyond.

I was born and raised in San Diego, California (oh, how I miss home - :tears: ). I lost my job as a Construction Manager last March and couldn't find a job to save my life. My older daughter lives out here, so I took my CA unemployment, moved and returned to school to pursue an alternate career as a Spanish Interpreter (as there simply is no work in my chosen field to be had). I love living in a rural area where it is quiet and peaceful, but I miss having local decent grocery stores. Walmart and Food Lion are okay for staples, but I have to go to Wilson or Greenville for Harris Teeter. Oh well, it could always be worse.

I love your recipes, by the way. They will go a long way in keeping food boredom (huge trap for me) at bay.

Thanks for checking in.

Buttoni
Fri, Feb-10-12, 08:11
Thank you, and again, nice to have you on board!

iloveec
Fri, Feb-10-12, 09:16
Hi :wave: Welcome- I think alot of us take it one meal at a time. You can do it! Just set your mind and focus on one step at a time!!

BlueEyes2
Fri, Feb-10-12, 12:05
Rebecca, we moved a year and a half ago from the Rocky Mount area to Virginia. We are both from the midwest and settled in NC for a time due to jobs.

I know what you mean about grocery stores. Back home, in the midwest, we had an abundance of fantasic stores and moving to the rural areas of NC was an adjustment. Coming to this area of Virginia has been wonderful and we're back in the land of great grocery stores.

Isn't it amazing how something seemingly so insignificant really does have an impact on us and our daily lives! But some Food Lions can be nice and really, all we need are whole foods and staples to eat well anyway. I just drove through there at Christmas because my step-daughter and son-in-law live in Richlands.

Peggy, every time I see Mt. Olive I think pickles! LOL!

iamrebecca
Wed, Aug-01-12, 09:42
I took your advice from the very beginning and now it's the advice I give other people. I really believe it was a key factor in staying motivating. Setting 5lbs goals works because 1) Anyone can lose 5lbs and 2)Losing 5lbs. gives you frequent successes and gratification, which reinforces what your doing. I loving celebrating a 5lb loss every two weeks. I never have enough time to get down on myself, because what happens...oh yeah, I've just lost another 5lbs. It works great for me. I've been doing this for just under 6 months and I've lost 70lbs. I think that's a testament to the effectiveness of the 5lb. method. Thanks, again.

You can do this though

Drink your water

100 to lose