PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 - 77 lbs to go

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Larson
Sat, Jan-28-12, 06:04
Hello, All
This is my first day of the forum. I started on the Atkins some ten years ago, but the frightening attitude from people in the medical field made me rethink. However, nowadays more and more docs are all for it, so I'm not as scared any longer. Yes, I did lose quite a lot ;) . Piled it all back when I returned to eating carbs.
Anyway, I'm an English teacher in Sweden, I'm 55 yrs and I enjoy a few hobbies like reading, sailing and sewing. I would love to be able to make some wonderful jackets and sheaths post the 77lbs :)
I don't foresee any problems barring the HORRIFIC, bad breath. Tips, anyone? I teach adults and have to stand next to them a lot and I don't want them to stop asking for helt when needed :help:
I look forward to the forum!

Elizellen
Sat, Jan-28-12, 13:00
Welcome to the board, Larson! :wave:

Not everyone gets bad breath when they do induction, so you might be one of the lucky ones who gets other signs of being in ketosis.

I only ever had lack of appetite and an odd "metallic" taste in my mouth when I started induction.

You can buy pocket sized breath freshener sprays if you feel the need though.

Larson
Sun, Jan-29-12, 02:16
Hello, and thank you for the welcome :)
You have succeeded in shedding many lbs, so it must work. BTW, I love stained glass. The building where I live has stained glass in the stairway on every landing. The high windows have nautical themes and spotlights automatically switch on in the evenings so that you can see them from the outside, too.

aj_cohn
Sun, Jan-29-12, 18:07
Hi Larson,

Welcome, and I'm envious of where you live. Swedes seem to have overthrown the modern "wisdom" (thank you Dr. Dahlqvist!) and returned to traditional nutritional sanity.

The bad breath you refer to usually comes from eating too much protein. I found an online calculator (http://www.wakehealth.edu/healthCalculators/) that will determine the minimum amount protein to eat each day (it's under the heading "Diet and Nutrition Calculators"). Ignore the other calculators; they use a high-carb paradigm.