PDA

View Full Version : seafood salad

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mamakim1
Tue, May-07-02, 14:06
Does anyone know if seafood salad made with imitation crabmeat that you get at a deli or salad bar is ok? How many carbs? Just curious. Also, would it fit into the Atkins induction diet? thanks for any info. Kim :confused:

agonycat
Tue, May-07-02, 14:11
The fake krab meat is normally made out of soy and is loaded with sugar and artifical junk.

Your best bet would be to make it yourself or go without.

Akiwican
Wed, May-08-02, 08:23
I realised early on that the imitation crab was no good on low carb, but I really miss my crab salad. Where do you buy real crab? {not in the shell}.

:wave: Akiwican

agonycat
Wed, May-08-02, 08:26
I would think you could buy it at a fresh seafood market, or grocery store that sells fresh seafood.

Here in the states they have fresh crab meat packed in plastic containers of just the claw meat or a mixture.

Cinderella
Wed, May-08-02, 08:53
Instead of using crab, I buy those shrimp rings for about 5 bucks(you get about 40-48 shrimp). I defrost those..)get rid of the shrimp tails) and I use these in salads, stirfries..or by themselves with a garlic and butter mixture. I also have put them in cream cheese for a spread on my homemade cheese crackers. The sky's the limit!

Have a great day..Cin

Akiwican
Wed, May-08-02, 09:02
I have seen the crab meat in packages in the seafood section, but they are always the imitation stuff. I will try one of the more fancy grocery stores and see if they have real crab.

Yes, I love the shrimp rings... buy them all the time and eat them all myself as my family dont care for them. :p I will try them in garlic butter... ummmm Thanks

:wave: Akiwican

Lolabug
Wed, May-22-02, 13:58
There is a brand of canned crabmeat called Luxury I think. It comes frozen and a bit pricy. My parents used to buy it when I was younger. I just buy the canned crab meat now. About 2.99 at Loblaws I think.

There are some seafood wholesalers open to the public. If you're in the Toronto area, I can get some places for you to try.

Lolabug.