PDA

View Full Version : Shakes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

phatnikki
Sun, Jan-22-12, 17:44
Hey Everyone!

Is anyone drinking the shakes while on induction?This is my second time around but the first time using the shakes. Tom. will make 1 week and I have lost 12lbs but I have heard that they are not good for you. My sweet tooth is insatiable so I'll probably still drink them anyway though LOL

madeyna
Sun, Jan-22-12, 20:28
I don,t but my husband does without problems . The wonderful thing about induction is if you get threw it is it has a cleansing effect on your bodie so you end up with less cravings. What helps me threw tom cravings is really high fat for a few days. Anything sweet seems to feed the fire. The exception for me is a sugar free jello cup. I do limit myself to one a day though. I don,t make a whole batch of jello because if I do during tom I eat it all and that does cause cravings.

0Angel0
Sun, Jan-22-12, 22:29
If anyone has an insatiable sweet tooth it's me. I love sweets and could eat them all day everyday. And I practically did and got fat! I'm also a former protein shake junkie. I've been on 12 days strict induction and while the nagging desire for them is still somewhere in the back of my head I can honestly say I don't crave them right now.

The first day or so was hard but I fought the low fat mantra that was drilled in my head, made a face as I poured extra olive oil on my meat and salads or added butter to the skillet, and I know it works now. Me without cravings for sweets is practically a miracle. I did have some for a day and a half after I baked choc chip cookies for a friend (not doing that again) and that made me eat three servings of lc pumpkin bake. But now the cravings are gone again and I'm staying far far away from non legal sweets.

I haven't even really had any "legal" sweets, other than the pumpkin bake that day. IMO, that has been key to getting rid of the cravings. I eat a lot of fat, moderate calories, and protein from meat or cheese. I'm not weighing myself until a full 3 weeks of induction are over but my clothes are looser. It's working. And I'm not craving. That's so huge for me I can't even believe it.

I think eating real protein is important as the protein shakes are too "desserty" and don't get the sweets out of your head. Induction is only two weeks and if you have to have them you can add them back as the first thing in OWL, IMO. You lost a ton of weight for the first week (grats!! :) ) and in order to keep seeing great results I would ditch or limit the shakes and eat real food.

Elizellen
Mon, Jan-23-12, 12:24
If you have a sweet tooth then you might be better off avoiding all kinds of sweetened foods and drinks on induction in order to kill off your sugar monster instead of feeding it daily.

phatnikki
Mon, Jan-23-12, 14:41
Thanks everyone for the comments and tips! Guess I'll be cutting the shakes :help: LOL

0Angel0
Mon, Jan-23-12, 18:59
It will be a lot easier than you think. If I can kick my sweet cravings in so short a time so can you. Lots of fat and protein from real foods will do the trick. You can do this! :)

ldev
Mon, Jan-23-12, 19:32
Going to go against the grain here, and suggest otherwise. There' are two sides:
The thing about dieting is that it doesn't matter if you go slow, so long as you can keep going. That is to say, if you are going to drink that shake or you're going to go stuff your face with 200g of carbs, go for the shake.

On the other hand, it may stall you, which is always disheartening and again causes people to quit prematurely.

If I were you, I'd force myself to go without for a couple days. And if that sends you running to the oatmeal and fruit (as it does me), a few extra carbs or a sweet atkins shake might actually help you stick with the plan long term.