PDA

View Full Version : New member in the UK

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Smudgeboy
Fri, Jan-20-12, 18:01
Hello all. I'm a 47-y-o male living in the UK and I stumbled on this site looking for recipes- fantastic so far.

I started Atkins a week ago after going over 19 stone for the first time (14lbs in a UK stone = 266lbs) and seeing my brother-in-law has so far lost nearly 3 stone in four months.

I've lost 8lbs in the first week, although I know that first-week loss is often higher due to water loss. I don't have the time to count carbs religiously, but I'm keeping religiously to very low-carb stuff as part of the Induction phase, and I treated myself to a rowing machine for Xmas, and so far I'm doing 20 minutes on that 2 days out of every 3 on average.

I'm a good cook (even if I say so myself!!) so I'm Interested in recipes, but most importantly translating some of many Americanisms/Canadianisms. I'm already OK with converting pounds to grams and Fahrenheit to Centigrade etc - next challenge is to decide what constitutes a "cup" ;)

Right, off to start a journal - although I may just C&P this! :)

perfectfit
Fri, Jan-20-12, 18:22
Welcome to the forums. :wave:

aj_cohn
Fri, Jan-20-12, 20:31
Welcome Smudgeboy. You don't have to count carbs religiously for a LC way of eating (WOE). I'm an atheist, and even I've found a way to count carbs.

I'll be here all week, folks. Try the pork belly (what -- you expected veal?).

Elizellen
Sat, Jan-21-12, 09:05
There is a dandy free conversion programme which includes loads of things like temp, weight (mass), liquids (volume), distances etc, etc here
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Smudgeboy
Sat, Jan-21-12, 13:38
Thanks all. Just made the chicken curry that's on the Atkins website. Absolutely gorgeous - and I'm a curry fanatic.

Strange eating it with green beans and asparagus, but hey . . :)

Elizellen
Mon, Jan-23-12, 12:47
I eat my curries with caulirice - grated raw cauli microwaved without water for a few minutes.

amandawald
Mon, Jan-23-12, 12:58
Hey Smudgers!

Why don't you order this lot?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Measuring-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0001IWW5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327344891&sr=8-1

I got some from a local USA army base a while back - the small spoons and the stainless steel cups - and they are great!!! I still weigh out stuff in the cups and then write down the recipes in grammes as I just can't yet imagine what a "cup" is!!!

My eldest daughter loves them, too, as she often gets American (vegan!!!) recipes off the internet and tries them out.

Have fun cooking!!!

amanda