PDA

View Full Version : Need good lifetime diet....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Louie51
Mon, Jan-16-12, 17:18
Hello, I am new here but not new to low carbin. My given name is Marylouise. But everyone calls me Louie. I'm female and almost 61 years old. I need :help: getting on a good low carb diet for life. I have lost 100 pounds on Atkins. I know I could use the Atkins guild-lines to go all the way to maintenance, but I want more than the heavy fats for a guide. I have been eating meat, eggs and cheese since March.

I am checking out the South Beach diet. I'm diabetic and I am not really sure I can eat the SBD way. I was on insulin. I have not used it since I started on low carb. If there is a way for me to do that I want to try.

I look forward to all of the tips and advice I can gleem from anyone that has any to offer. I welcome ya'lls words.

Thanks for reading my intro,
Louie

dappermalu
Tue, Jan-17-12, 04:55
Welcome! You are an inspiration. 100 pounds. Great going.

Elizellen
Tue, Jan-17-12, 11:35
Welcome to the board, Louie! :wave:

Have you stayed on induction all this time? I find now I am in premaintenance where I can choose foods from all the OWL rungs that it does not seem like "heavy fat" to me at all.

Once someone has done OWL and discovered their CCLL as well as which foods affect them adversely while reaching their goal weight then eating maintenance levels of carbs and food choices looks to me like a "good lowcarb diet for life" and is what I intend to do when I get there!!

Louie51
Tue, Jan-17-12, 12:41
Welcome to the board, Louie! :wave:

Have you stayed on induction all this time? I find now I am in premaintenance where I can choose foods from all the OWL rungs that it does not seem like "heavy fat" to me at all.

Once someone has done OWL and discovered their CCLL as well as which foods affect them adversely while reaching their goal weight then eating maintenance levels of carbs and food choices looks to me like a "good lowcarb diet for life" and is what I intend to do when I get there!!

:wave: Hello Elizellen, Thank you for the welcome. Yes I have been on induction all this time. I was on insulin and to add food scares me to pieces. I am ashamed to admit but I have not tried the rungs. Well I did try one time. I stopped losing weight. I weighed and measured every bite.
You have done GREAT.
Once I used the letters CCLL and was told I was wrong. I was told it is CCL. Please tell me what it stands for.

Judynyc
Tue, Jan-17-12, 14:19
Welcome Louie!! :wave:

I think that you've gotten the right advice from Elizellen!! :agree: :thup:

There are many here just like you, that fear OWL and the rungs of the carb ladder....but it is truly a necessary part of making this a way of eating for life. There are OWL threads in the Atkins section that explain it more.
Especially for diabetics, how else will you know which are the right carbs for your body if you don't test them out first.
I read just the other day one person had a spike from blueberries....which most of us don't have a problem with. Someone else has a spike from strawberries.
Start a journal here so we can chat more!! :cool:

Nancy LC
Tue, Jan-17-12, 14:30
Dr. Bernstein wrote a book for low carbing diabetics you might like.

dmarie328
Tue, Jan-17-12, 15:42
Really, you were able to get off insulin. That's awesome. I would try some recipes such as muffins in a minute so you can make sandwichs, mock potatoes, and many more. I'm vert impressed.

Louie51
Tue, Jan-17-12, 16:00
Welcome Louie!! :wave:

I think that you've gotten the right advice from Elizellen!! :agree: :thup:

There are many here just like you, that fear OWL and the rungs of the carb ladder....but it is truly a necessary part of making this a way of eating for life. There are OWL threads in the Atkins section that explain it more.
Especially for diabetics, how else will you know which are the right carbs for your body if you don't test them out first.
I read just the other day one person had a spike from blueberries....which most of us don't have a problem with. Someone else has a spike from strawberries.
Start a journal here so we can chat more!! :cool:

Hi Judy, Yea I am sure yall are all correct. And yes it is scarie. A journal, I will check that out. Thank you Judy you have very valuable advice.

Louie51
Tue, Jan-17-12, 16:09
Really, you were able to get off insulin. That's awesome. I would try some recipes such as muffins in a minute so you can make sandwichs, mock potatoes, and many more. I'm vert impressed.

Hello Marie,
Mock potatoes I know about. What is Muffins in a min?? I do need some good low-low carb recipie's. Can you post them in here or tell me where to find them...

Yes I stopped using insulin the very day I started doing Atkins. I had trouble one time when I thought I could eat KFC! :yum: I learned to cook chicken without batter. I fry it with Coconut oil. Its't almost as good as KFC...

You know it seemed like it took for ever to lose the 100 but looking back it just melted away. I did Atkins pre-book 68. Besides the eggs it is almost carb-less....plus his first book 72'.

Judynyc
Wed, Jan-18-12, 09:23
Hi Louie,
I saw your posts in the WarZone on is zero carb sustainable.
Here is a link to a thread for those who are eating this way.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409111

The thread in the WarZone is for debate on whether or not eating that way is actually sustainable for life. It appears that there are very few people who end up sticking with it for the long term.

You did not explain what you eat and what you consider to be zero carb.
What and how much did you eat when you saw a gain?

Louie51
Wed, Jan-18-12, 09:47
Hi Louie,
I saw your posts in the WarZone on is zero carb sustainable.
Here is a link to a thread for those who are eating this way.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409111

The thread in the WarZone is for debate on whether or not eating that way is actually sustainable for life. It appears that there are very few people who end up sticking with it for the long term.

You did not explain what you eat and what you consider to be zero carb.
What and how much did you eat when you saw a gain?

Judy , Thank you very much!! :thup:

Louie51
Wed, Jan-18-12, 11:44
Re-posting Dr. Atkins plan before the 72 book
ON THIS DIET YOU MUST TAKE A MULTIPLE VITAMIN AND MINERAL CAPSULE!

FOODS

Meat (except liver and liver sausage)
Fish (except wine sauce herring)
Seafood (except oysters)
Poultry (nothing to be breaded or floured,
No BBQ sauce or catsup)
Eggs (fixed any way)
Natural Cheese (with wax around)
(No cottage cheese, processed or yogurt)
Butter
Fat
Salt/Pepper and other seasonings/read very carefully, look 4 hidden sugar.
Artificial Sweetners
Mustard & Horseradish
Mayonnaise * I am going to make my own.
Sour Cream Dressing *
Low Calorie Dressing * w/no sugar
Mushrooms (1T)
Beef or Chicken boullion broth
(No other soups)

*These items contain 2 cal. Of sugar per Tablespoon – DO NOT use excessively
** If desired as often as listed

Fried Pork Rinds (can be used as breading)
Sugar Free Gum (NO sugar free candy or other dietetic foods)
Cool Whip topping *
D-Zerta Jello and D-Zerta topping
Plain Knox Gelatin and sugar free kool-aid (mix together to make jello)
1C of lettuce (twice a day) **
NO OTHER VEGETABLES
NO FRUIT

BEVERAGES

Water (1/2 your weight in oz.)
Sugar Free Soda
Sugar Free Kool-Aid
Black Coffee and tea
Hard Liquor: (NO wine except dry vermouth, NO apricot brandy, drambouye, Southern Comfort, Liquorers)
NO regular beer
Lite Beer OK – Micholob Lite or Miller Lite

This is my handbook/with the 72' book....His list was in magazines all over the world in 1968. He even talked about it in his first book in 1972...He did this list for all the ppl that could not walk out their own front door because they were hundreds of pounds over weight.

Judy I did this along with the 72 book.... :agree:

Louie51
Wed, Jan-18-12, 11:47
Judy when I saw a gain I had gotten on the book everyone calls the NANY. I could not lose weight when I followed the guild-lines of that book that he had no input with.....

Judynyc
Wed, Jan-18-12, 14:05
Judy when I saw a gain I had gotten on the book everyone calls the NANY. I could not lose weight when I followed the guild-lines of that book that he had no input with.....
OK, I see. :)
So you are not really zero carb(zc) and you are very low carb(vlc) with lettuce being the only veggie you eat?

Have you gone into the Atkins section of this site yet?

Judynyc
Wed, Jan-18-12, 14:10
Atkins Induction Acceptable Food List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: These instructions are taken from Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Most experienced forum members would advise you to follow these instructions and not those from New Atkins, New You, the Quick Start Guide, or the website, as the changes seem to be too liberal in favor of selling shakes and bars. This is the induction food list as Dr Atkins wrote it himself.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

The above quote is from the link to this thread...I think that you should review it very carefully. It could change everything for you. :agree:

Judynyc
Wed, Jan-18-12, 15:32
This is a link to the Dr Bernstein and Diabetic section of this site:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

:wave: