PDA

View Full Version : I can't imagine myself thin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jenevere
Sun, Jan-15-12, 19:23
....but I try, every day.

Hi, fellow low-carbers! I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, and I'd like to thank you all for your support and encouragement (even though I have never posted before). Each story I read here inspires and motivates me in some way.

I have been very overweight all (ALL) of my life. I was beyond "chubby" as a toddler. At four or five years old, my pediatrician told my mother that if I continued at my current rate of growth, I would be 300 lbs. by age fifteen. He was sadly correct - I battled my weight throughout childhood, on and off of whatever diets my parents saw fit to try (Weight Watchers - I gained, disgusting fiber cookies, riding my bicycle around the uphill circle drive 20 times a night, endocrinologists, etc, etc).

I was angry. I was resentful. My sisters never had to do these things. They were "normal." I snuck food out of anger; it took me years to figure out that anger was my trigger. I caught myself beginning to "sneak" food when I was angry at my husband and he wasn't around. What a wake up call. No more!

Puberty began, and I was obese and exhibiting every embarassing symptom of PCOS (and still do). Need I even say that school was pure hell? By graduation, I had to have been 350 lbs (looking at the photos - I wouldn't touch a scale).

I once got my weight down to 220 using ephedra and starvation. I kept it that way for nearly a year, until my daughter was conceived! By the time she was born in 2005, however, ephedra was off the shelves - and I had gained 80 lbs.

After I weaned her, I lost 30lbs (almost) effortlessly. I exercised daily. I ate what I thought at the time was healthy. Beyond that, I could not lose anything, and I gave up. :( My weight fluctuated between 270-285 for three years, until I was prescribed phentermine and metformin from a new doctor I began seeing. I had begun eating completely organic, whole foods and was seriously trying to loose weight, and got down to 265 when my son was conceived in 2009. BIG surprise!

I gained 50 more lbs during that emotionally tumultuous time, and those lbs have haunted me for nearly two years. I visited a holistic doctor in 2010 who advised me to give up all grains - so I did. I followed his diet to the letter for three months (very similar to Atkins, only it included sugar, and fruit in lieu of vegs). The pounds did not budge, not at all. I grew frustrated beyond belief, and chalked it up to the fact that I was still breastfeeding my (very high-need) son.

My son is nearly two and now is only nursing at sleep times and a few times a night. I picked up People magazine's "Half Their Size" issue a few weeks ago, and something finally hit a nerve - a big one. I broke down. I thought that if they could do it, why not me? I finally accepted that there was never going to be another magic bullet, another way to shed the pounds. Sugar - the one thing I was convinced I could never give up? I've been sugar-free for seven days. No cheats. I pondered and contemplated, thought, and researched, and finally accepted that Atkins was really worth a try. I haven't read the book just yet, but I am going to read it. I just didn't want to wait another day to begin. I just sort of slipped right into eating LC gradually, over 2 or 3 days, hardly on purpose! Last Saturday was my last beer (I am a musucian and perform at a pub weekly; now I drink just water). I turned down birthday cake today (my very favorite food!). My husband is supportive and no longer brings home pizza from work.

I have lost 8-9 lbs in the last week. I went through leg cramps and irritability and was in ketosis by morning of day 3. My goal is to have my son completely weaned by his second birthday in two months; until then, I'll just keep plugging away without high expectations. These forums are invaluable for support and questions. Thanks again to everyone here! So... I begin my journey anew.

WereBear
Sun, Jan-15-12, 19:32
It is never too late! Sounds like you have a great attitude.

Brinethery
Mon, Jan-16-12, 16:15
Thank you for telling your story to all of us. I encourage you to save this post in a word file and reflect back on it from time to time.

For anyone starting out (and werebear would second this), most people make the mistake of not eating enough fat. It should be at least 70 or even 80% of your total calories. The carbs should be kept as low as humanly possible also.

Don't worry about exercise at this stage in the game. It can actually cause people to lose at a slower rate. Just worry about clean eating, and eat plenty of REAL food. Both werebear and I lost the weight without exercise.

Shakes, bars, etc can cause people to stall so it's better to stay away from them if we can help it.

Lastly, read as many books that you can get your hands on. The Protein Power Lifeplan is at the top of my bookshelf as far as the science behind LC is concerned.

You WILL take this weight off without brutal exercise, and certainly without starving yourself. I can imagine you being thin :-)

Good luck!

Jenevere
Mon, Jan-16-12, 18:06
Thanks so much for the encouragement! So far, my willpower has been awesome. I'm surprising myself. Seeing real people be successful is such amazing motivation, and I hope I can do the same for others someday. :)

FatBeGone5
Mon, Jan-16-12, 19:20
Welcome!

While I have never been above 255lbs, I have never ever been thin. I went from being a chubby child, to an overweight adolescent to an obese teenager. In Dr. Atkins book he says to imagine yourself when you were at your ideal weight and make that a goal, but I have never ever been at an ideal weight, I have never been thin...I don't know if my thin will be 140, 130, 125? I mean who knows! I have often thought this cannot happen for me because it never has and I cannot visually imagine myself thin because I have no reference. BUT I picked up that same People magazine and had the same response, "why not me?"
We can do it! Best of luck to you!

dappermalu
Tue, Jan-17-12, 04:52
Welcome! All the best to you & I am sure you will reach your goal.

dmarie328
Tue, Jan-17-12, 08:20
I also gave up sugar and since I have celiac (gluten free) I accidently ended up on adkins.
I love this woe so much my helping two people who are in the same boat as you and thier doing great.
It is very important to take advantage of the great recipes on this site, because when you get extreme cravings substitute instead of cheating.
After a while you'll find you don't have that many cravings. The best part of this woe is you don't go hungrey and after a short time you'll feel great.
You can do this, I have faith in you.

Jenevere
Wed, Jan-18-12, 12:34
Thanks so much for the encouragement! I won't waste it. :)

Patina
Wed, Jan-18-12, 21:55
Hi Jenevere, thanks for sharing your story. I think anyone who is very over weight always finds strands of familiarity in the histories of everyone who has battled weight for years.

Take to heart the good advice/wisdom the others have given you on this post. One thing is clear...everyone committed to this way of eating seems to find their own rhythm in terms of when they eat and what they eat and you will too.

I have learned so much about LC from reading these boards and reading the many very good books available on this topic. Just about every time I peruse the posts on here, I learn something new or a new food to try. But most of all, reading the posts on here and stories like yours helps keep me motivated and focused.

So welcome to the forum and I wish you success and health on your journey.