PDA

View Full Version : fiber ... colon cancer

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chewie1012
Tue, May-07-02, 08:19
What about getting enough fiber to keep colon cancer from occuring. I went to fit day the other day and punched in my numbers. Fiber was the one thing that concerned me. Not that I was getting what I should before but I do want to be healthy. Are we as a whole getting the fiber we should doing this plan? Nat? Lisaf? Anyone?

razzle
Tue, May-07-02, 09:05
fibre actually seems more likely to cause than prevent colon cancer. You could do a web search on this and look not at popular press sites but at real medical sites where they discuss these interesting findings. this is another case, like "fat is bad for you" of a couple poorly-done studies being misinterpreted, then repeated over and over again places like talk shows and newspapers, and having no relationship to the real workings of the human body. (Of course, part of the reason for that is that cancer is a disease of the industrial revolution, and there are economic forces out there that would rather blame the cancer patients themselves than what really causes cancer.)

For many many reasons, though, eat as many raw green veggies as you can. Get off induction levels quickly by adding more and more veggies, and more and more variety of veggies. Believe me, it's nearly impossible to eat 50 (ECC) grams of veggies. (I've tried! :) ) Your health will be all the better for it.

HTH!

chewie1012
Tue, May-07-02, 10:01
It does thanks! I don't even know what induction is though. I will definately try to increase my veggies. I do prefer them cooked though.
You razzled me with your knowledge! :)
Jerry

razzle
Tue, May-07-02, 10:54
oops! I should look more carefully at the forum posted in and the person's program! sorry about that!

I haven't read SP, so you'd have to tell me--does she limit amounts of low-carb veggies, or is it as much salad as you wish?

chewie1012
Tue, May-07-02, 21:45
Basically she only has us count our carbs. Non starchy vegetables are not to be counted. If we are eating 15 grams of carbs a meal then we would either have 1 slice of bread or the equilvalent in fruit or starchy veg like peas or sweet potato or potato etc. She says to eat as much protein as you need. Pretty much she has us eat anything you can hunt, pick milk or fish. Do you know any creative ways to increase the raw green veggies in our diet other than salads?

TheBetty
Wed, May-08-02, 09:30
As for the raw green veggies, not sure other than salad or just plain ol' eatin' 'em raw by the handful (not so creative, huh?).

But what about eating a sweet pepper like an apple? Personally, I like red, orange and yellow sweet peppers, but don't care for green "bell" peppers. The other colors are so sweet, yet they are "freebies" and make a great snack with a stick of string cheese. You can also cut them into strips and dip in homemade ranch or bleu cheese dressing--or olive oil and balsalmic vinegar.

~

If you want a creative way too get some cooked greens, I've found a nice meat dish that includes a bit of the green:

FLANK STEAK ARUGULA ROLL ~ I created this recipe in the first 2 weeks on the SP, desiring to have variety of menu items.

I take a flank steak and pound it thin and rectangular.

Pat dry with paper towel, and rub steak on one side with olive oil, ground pepper, and any fresh or dried herbs you like (I prefer a little fresh oregano for this dish).

Then sprinkle crumbled gorgonzola cheese (or any blue-vein cheese) on all but the end 1/3 of the steak.

Sprinkle with balsalmic vinegar, about 1-2 T. depending on steak size.

Then place a thick layer of raw arugula (sp?) or spinach on all but that 1/3 end.

Then TIGHTLY roll into a log and secure with toothpicks in about 5 spots or so.

Place in your old faithful cast iron skillet (or roasting pan) which has been oiled with olive oil, and pop into a 325-350 degree oven until it's starting to get a crust on the edge where the toothpicks are inserted, should be less than 40 minutes. It cooks fast because the meat is so thin. You need to adjust the temp and length according to your own tastes and oven.

Remove meat from cast iron skillet and set aside and let rest about 10 minutes. Place skillet w/juices on stove burner on high, adding about 1/2 cup white wine, cook down, then add 1-2 T Tamari soy sauce (low sodium), stir, then add about 1/2 cup heavy cream, stir. Cook about 1 minute til thickened.

Slice meat roll into "pin wheels" and arrange on place, drizzling plenty of sauce on top. DELICIOUS!

~

Also, cooked kale and other greens, like collard greens, are great lightly boiled, drained and seasoned with rice wine vinegar and sesame oil, or with peanut oil and bacon bits! The key is to not over cook til they lose color.

~

Raw spinach packs more of a whallop than plain old romaine lettuce. Spinach with crumbled walnuts and warm raspberry vinegar and peanut oil dressing is wonderful. I like to add fruit like pears to this salad--or in the summer time, I imagine that any fruit will be great!

~

Well, that's a few ideas from my camp. I hope I don't seem too overwhelming with my cooking ideas. Cooking is a passion of mine, and I have always loved trying new things and creating, so SP is a perfect way for me to excell with main dishes, since I've left my gourmet sweets and "chocolatiering" behind. Chocolate was my passion before SP, and I have an extensive library of magazines and books all dedicated to chocolate that I will never need again, so I must redirect my cooking skills somewhere! :lol:

Well wishes to you all. --TheBetty

chewie1012
Wed, May-08-02, 10:42
I like to cook as well. Thanks for the ideas.
Jerry

DebPenny
Wed, May-08-02, 13:53
You should copy your recipe to the recipe forum so others looking for such things can find it. I'm going to try it. It sounds wonderful!

;-Deb
:daizy:

Cinderella
Thu, May-09-02, 08:02
Fiber can cause Colon Cancer??

Am I doing my body harm by eating Flax Seeds every morning???

*yikes*