PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Ketosis (My Final 30)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MarrahSS
Thu, Jan-12-12, 08:50
Hi --

Here's an excerpt from my Diary:

"Why do I want to lose weight? Because I have all these clothes I want to fit into and look great. Because I want to walk up the street and have people think, “Wow, she’s so slender.” Because when I’m in a shop with a bunch of young, lean women I want to feel like I belong there. Because I have a talent for writing fiction and I want to achieve thinnes, with its related sense of accomplishment, which will provide me with the sense of determination and perseverance I need to complete my novel."

I'm already in excellent health (thank God!!) so I want to lose purely for reasons of vanity. Is that so bad?

In 1992 I was 43 and had breast cancer. The chemo put me into early chemo-induced menopause and I gained 40 lbs. I wasn't able to take that off until 2007, which I did then thanks to South Beach. I've kept it off and lost more (10 lbs), gained more (15 lbs) but I've always wanted to get back to what feels to me like my optimum weight, what I weighed before I had babies.

I quit eating sugar last January (2011) and kept clean all year but didn't really lose any weight because of it. Chrismas I fell off the wagon for a few days but managed to get back, and stay back, on. 2012 was the year I was so anxious to lose these final 30 pounds. I read the New York Times Magazine article on The Fat Trap and all the comments and a number of people mentioned Gary Taubes so I got his book "Why We Get Fat" out of the library. What he was saying really made sense to me. The fallacy of the calories in/calories out modality was finally hitting home. I began veering toward a low-carb diet but one that also included wine on the weekend, one slice of pizza, and my sugar-free gum addiction and I ended up gaining a pound. I googled my way to this forum and a lot of comments about Atkins. I had tried Atkins in 2005 or so but I never got into ketosis and I believe I lost some weight but after a while something must have caused me to abandon it. Probably urge for sugar, which is my addiction. Now with the sugar addiction under control I am determined to achieve ketosis this time.

I'm looking forward to all I can learn from this forum. I think when I tried Atkins before I hadn't sought out any online help. I feel this time I am in a good place: I'm luckily starting from a relatively low number, I'm committed to learning how my body processes food and, with the support of the forum, plan on not getting as frustrated in the process as I have in the past. I am also determined to follow the advice of those who have gone before and succeeded.

Ready, set, go to the library when it opens to get the Atkins book, and lose!!

Marrah

Julizzler
Mon, Jan-23-12, 13:06
Good luck on your Journey! :)

MarrahSS
Tue, Jan-24-12, 04:33
Good luck on your Journey! :)

Thanks and good travels to you as well.

So far no weight or inches lost but I believe I am learning slowly learning and I have no cravings, which feels fantastic.