PDA

View Full Version : Spices help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LivingLow
Mon, May-06-02, 15:07
Okay first week, my first post:

I need help with spices/sauces - thought I was doing well and keeping to under 20 g per day but then logged onto FitDay and found the spices and sauces were killing me when I made a stir fry! Please...need ideas for stir fry spices!

Also, does decaf coffee have less carbs than regular coffee?

Thanks!

agonycat
Mon, May-06-02, 15:11
Most spices and herbs are around 1 carb per tsp.

Divide that by the amount of servings you are making and it should come out pretty reasonable.

Fitday has a real bad habit of putting a "cup" as serving size for everything.

Viceroy
Sun, May-12-02, 10:36
Living low,

just coming to the end of my induction. I used spices without any problems though I was careful to go easy on the soy sauce. I think unless you Really add them like crazy it won't make a difference.

I switched to decaf and found that to be a major help. Has less carbs and helps reduce those awful cravings and food urges.

doreen T
Sun, May-12-02, 10:54
Decaf has exactly the same carbs as regular coffee. 0.8g per 6 oz cup (175 ml) .. or 1.1g per 8 oz (240ml) cup.

Instant coffee has about half the carbs of brewed coffee, when made with a "rounded teaspoonful" of powder. Obviously, if you make it stronger, the carbs will be higher.

Of course, my humble opinion is that instant coffee is a sacrilege :p

Doreen

Viceroy
Sun, May-12-02, 11:29
Doreen T,

thanks, I didn't realize decaf and regular coffee were both equally low in carbs. For some people though (like myself) changing to decaf can be a very good idea.

Like you, I also consider instant coffee an Abonimation! :D