PDA

View Full Version : Metamucil

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lifefirst
Mon, May-06-02, 13:08
i have been taking metamucil, and it works good. is it okay to take it every day for the rest of my life? the bottle says not to take 'laxitive' for more than a week, but is that reffering to it's own metamucil? and if so, why do they make it in a jar that could last a whole year. so i just wonder if i can keep taking it, cuz i like it a lot.

thanks.

life

Mila
Mon, May-06-02, 16:53
Hi,
if your diet is poor in fiber, you can take metamucil (unflavored) up to 2tsp per day for the rest of your life. the best way to take it is 1tsp in a glass of water or juice twice a day: once upon rising and another glass before bed. this is not a laxative, in the strict sense of the word, but source of fiber/bulk. it is safer if you use psyllum husks from the health food store. I read that metamucil is contaminated with some chemicals to which some people are sensitive.

remember to drink PLENTY of water during the day. psyllum husks in metamucil absorb and hold a lot of water, so you may become constipated if you do not add plenty of water in your diet. there is a rule: warm water goes to bowels, cold water stays in the stomach. so to liquefy your stool drinking room temperature water is a bit better.

best wishes,
Mila