PDA

View Full Version : Wine in cooking

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LCSue
Fri, Apr-27-01, 13:50
Many recipes seem to call for white wine. I'm wondering if there is anything that I could sub for it. Rarely drink it, and I wouldn't know what to buy just for cooking. Any suggestions for a no-carb, lo-carb substitute?

TIA,

cocoa8
Fri, Apr-27-01, 20:51
If it is for a savory meal substitute 1/2 cup of chicken broth for 1/2 cup white wine.

I found this on www.mastercook.sierrahome.com under substitutions

LCSue
Sat, Apr-28-01, 18:54
Thanks so much, cocoa. I'll check out that link, too.

Karen
Sun, Apr-29-01, 00:55
Sue,

White wine is pretty low-carb--.236 grams per ounce. Red wine has .5 per. Chicken stock is a good substitute, but wine has a certain tang to it. Anything white, dry and fairly inexpensive would work. The liquor store people would be able to advise you. Keep it in the fridge and it will last for a long time.

Karen

LCSue
Sun, Apr-29-01, 13:01
Thank you, Karen. I am surprised that the carb count is so low, guess it would certainly be worth using such a small amount to flavour the cooking.

I really am taking your advice to heart, and trying to awaken my 'inner chef'. :D Kind of like Rupelstiltskin, but I'm working on it!