PDA

View Full Version : A Clear Goal

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

brblight
Mon, Dec-19-11, 10:36
I posted this in my journal and thought I would put my goal here as well. I was just reading my book (New Diet Revolution) and it said that I should make a clear goal. So here goes, I shall put it out there for all to see...

My goal is; to be at 150lbs by my Birthday which is June 30, so that gives me 6 Months. I know that is possible, I can do that.

That is 63 pounds...that sounds so overwhelming, but at my highest weight I was 257, back then that would have been 107. So really I have already come a long way. I did not look at it like that until I thought about what my clear goal would be.

Is it possible to lose that much on Atkins in 6 Months??? :q:

krystalr
Mon, Dec-19-11, 10:49
It's possible, but everyone is different regarding how quickly they lose. You shouldn't gague your potential success on how fast someone else has lost - so many factors come into play.

I think it's great to set a goal weight, but I wouldn't set a specific timeframe. Just set the goal, and promise yourself to stay the course until you reach it - even if it takes longer than you'd hope.

RaceGirl28
Mon, Dec-19-11, 12:55
Where's the like button for what Krys said?

hysteria
Mon, Dec-19-11, 18:08
It's possible, but everyone is different regarding how quickly they lose. You shouldn't gague your potential success on how fast someone else has lost - so many factors come into play.

I think it's great to set a goal weight, but I wouldn't set a specific timeframe. Just set the goal, and promise yourself to stay the course until you reach it - even if it takes longer than you'd hope.
+1

This is just me but while professionally I do fine with deadlines, personally, deadlines (and the potential of not meeting them) lead to failure. I find if I don't hit the goal I set for myself, I get frustrated - frustration leads to not caring...not caring typically leads to giving up.

I realize for some, its motivation, but I agree with Krys 100% - weight goal, great - time deadline...might want to give yourself some slack.

reign
Mon, Dec-19-11, 18:16
I have lost weight fast and I still think your goal is too much. I think setting a goal weight is great but not a set date. Way too much stress!

black57
Tue, Dec-20-11, 10:14
The younger you are the more successful your goals will be. The closer you are to perimenopause...fuhgettaboutit. However goals can still be set with health. I am able to lose very slowly while keeping my blood glucose at fairly normal levels. I look pretty good and I dress to kill.

NortonMan
Tue, Dec-20-11, 11:55
Go ahead and set your goal now, but be ready to revise it once you've lost ten pounds or so.

I found out that initial weight loss can be very quick, but then slows down. You'll settle down to a pretty consistent rate of loss in a month or two. Use a chart and change your goal to follow that rate. It may take longer than 6 months, but you'll be changing your habits for life.

brblight
Wed, Dec-21-11, 07:15
Thanks for all the encouragement