PDA

View Full Version : Starting to eat meat...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Fungusgirl
Fri, Dec-16-11, 04:14
Okay...I posted this in the Paleo group and I wanted to post it here also so I can get some advice...
I was so desperate to lose weight after all of the steroids I had been on made me gain, that I went ahead and started juicing from the Fat, Sick and Nearly dead thing....I did 25 days and then ate a bit with my hubby before he left for overseas. I continued with eating veggies, soy patties and beans, I fell and hurt myself exercising because of dizziness, started bruising up terribly, my gums started bleeding, my hair is falling out, I feel absolutely awful and I have been sick non stop. I started asking questions on the Vegan and Veggie support group and in reboot groups and either got yelled at like it was some kind of conspiracy that I was sent there to imply the diet is bad, ignored and actually flat out called a liar. I had been begging for advice because my doctor said ease into juicing, the other doctor said no that is a bad idea, the nutritionist I saw said what I was doing was unhealthy, that juice feasting was actually akin to pouring sugar down my throat and water fasting would be healthier Then I saw that Dr. Fuhrman, even though he supervised the 60 day fast in Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, in his book, he says juice fasting was bad! I had lost all of my weight doing a version of atkins a while ago and then was put on steroids and gained a lot back. I had maintained my weight and was as healthy as a horse on atkins, but I was so desperate to lose weight fast, that I have been trying the juice fasting. I am at a loss as to what to do, all I know is now I am anemic and I am now deficient in B vitamins and other vitamins and minerals across the board, regardless of the fact that I take vitamins every day, one being the Multi Elite Whole Foods Vitamin by CTD labs, I take B vitamins, Calcium with D3 and omegas. I am still eating vegetarian as of right now, but I cannot get a straight answer and when I ask opinions, I get shut down. I know the nutritionist told me to eat meat and eggs...I know my skin looks grey, my eyes are dead, I have all of this going on and everyone is saying I am detoxing. I am 32 and my hair is falling out...that is detoxing. As for Dr. Oz, I am very, very disappointed with you. This is not a caveman diet at all and you should call your diet what it is...The Dr. Oz Vegetarian diet...and that is okay, rock on with your bad self, but do not say it is a caveman diet.

I also posted this last night:
Well, I had my first meat in a while and cannot even eat a whole hamburger...trying to figure out how to make it fattier...maybe add an egg on top?
Then this last night:
Well, I was worried that high protein would cause me to gain weight because I read that a lot of protein can turn into fat on the body, also. I know I have to add fat, but butter on burgers does not sound good to me, so I was thinking about adding an egg on top. I think I am going to buy a bunch of eggs and just eat eggs for a while and maybe make a roast in the crock pot, so I will have that to snack on. I am hoping to lose a good amount of weight while my husband is deployed. Now, should I do the no dairy for 30 days that you all were talking about?

Then I was told this:
I love eggs with burgers. Be careful that you are not adding more calories than you need though. I like to use the fattiest ground beef I can get my hands on and this really makes a big difference.
Lean burgers can taste very nice but at the end of the meal I would always feel like something was missing.

So I just posted this:
I thought all I had to worry about were carbs, not calories? I had a half of a burger today with an ounce of cheese and a jalapeno paper...I am trying to eat, but it is hard when you aren't hungry. Also, have you all tried coconut oil? Is it good?

I am kinda of confused...When I did Atkins before, i thought it was all about calories. I have not been exercising yet because I hurt myself on the treadmill when I got dizzy and fell, I am still pretty weak from attempting the Vegan thing, etc...but I plan on attempting Power 90 Starting Jan 1st....
Any comments and advice will be well appreciated!

raven132
Fri, Dec-16-11, 11:02
Goodness, you have been through a lot lately. If I were in your shoes I would not worry about exercise for a while yet, putting extra stress on your body is probably not going to do you any favors until you get things in order. Don't stress too much, eat whole foods and make sure animal parts make up most of your daily intake. Coming off of the vegan thing I would not worry about veggie intake until you stop losing hair and other issues improve.

Fungusgirl
Fri, Dec-16-11, 16:40
Thanks...I have had some meat and I do feel better already..just worried, I guess. :)

Fungusgirl
Sat, Dec-17-11, 10:56
Okay, I am having issues finding the meat and eggs thread...also, what are your thoughts on using pork rinds and cream cheese as a snack if I am not hungry enough to really eat? Also, do you think it is feasible to lose 100 pounds in a year?

ICDogg
Sat, Dec-17-11, 12:55
Okay, I am having issues finding the meat and eggs thread...also, what are your thoughts on using pork rinds and cream cheese as a snack if I am not hungry enough to really eat? Also, do you think it is feasible to lose 100 pounds in a year?

100 lbs in a year would be possible depending partly on how much weight you have to lose. The nearer you reach your target the slower it probably will be in terms of how long it takes to lose a pound. In the roughest terms it will probably take 10 times longer to lose a pound on average when you are only 10 lbs. overweight as opposed to 100 lbs. overweight.

Fungusgirl
Sat, Dec-17-11, 14:36
100 lbs in a year would be possible depending partly on how much weight you have to lose.

I need to lose 130 pounds...:)

ICDogg
Sat, Dec-17-11, 14:55
to lose 100 lbs in 12 mos. when you are 130 lbs. overweight means you have to lose approx. 10% of your excess body weight a month (recalculated each month).

Sounds a little too ambitious to me, but its not impossible.

ICDogg
Sat, Dec-17-11, 15:10
Let me think of this another way, in my case. I started in early September at 310. My goal weight is 200 but really, the ideal weight to work from is probably closer to 180. So I started at, coincidentally, 130 lbs. overweight.

Now, I am almost halfway to 100 about 4 1/2 months in. so I would have to lose the other 50 in about 7 months time to reach a goal such as yours.

Hmmm...still the same answer. Not impossible, but that is very ambitious. It only gets slower as you go along...

I'm content to know that what I'm doing is working well and I'll get there eventually.

ICDogg
Sat, Dec-17-11, 15:18
They should make projected weight loss amortization tables like they have for paying off mortgages and stuff, based on percent of excess weight projected to be lost per month at a certain percentage.

That would be an easy spreadsheet to make actually.

cnmLisa
Sat, Dec-17-11, 15:49
And almost 30 days later....

I'll post what I posted in your other thread on November 30th. I guess you didn't take any consideration to my post so here it is again. I stand by it.

You don't say how long you have been off of your steriods.

Not knowing the details of your health issues that would require steroid injections 3x/week for 3 years....is pretty hard core. Steroids are hormones. Steriods affect your insulin sensitivity by making your cells more insulin resistant. The more insulin resistant you become the more imperative that you follow a carbohydrate controlled diet. Unfortunately, juicing is one of the worst things you can do if you're insulin resistant. Juicing supports wide swings in your blood glucose levels which in turn causes your body to pump out even more insulin and due to the already insulin resistant state of your cells from the steriods, even more insulin is pumped out and alas, none of it is being used except to store more fat.

I understand the desperation in your post, but the best thing for you in terms of nutrition IS to follow a carbohydrate controlled way of eating of your chooseing. I usually tell patients that it will take as least half as long for your body to return to equalibrium after long term steriod use and depending on health and type, your body may never return to equalibrium I'm sorry to say. But juicing and meat analogs is not the way to achieve optimal health. A 100 day juice fast will only negatively impact an already struggling metabolism and body which is trying to heal itself.

I wish you luck.

Progress not perfection

Lisa

Start healing your body first and weight loss will follow.

I again wish you luck and improved health.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Fungusgirl
Sat, Dec-17-11, 16:06
And almost 30 days later....

I'll post what I posted in your other thread on November 30th. I guess you didn't take any consideration to my post so here it is again. I stand by it.

Start healing your bosy first and weight loss will follow.

I again wish you luck and improved health.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

I did consider it and had been struggling with what I was doing for all of this time. Now I am back on the Atkins diet. You do not have to be crass with me because I was struggling to do the right thing. Within that 30 days, I had blood work done more than once, spoke with nutritionists and did a lot of research and my health went downhill. Maybe you should find out the whole story before you go off half cocked. This is a support website, so that is what I am using it for. To learn, to give and receive support.

cnmLisa
Sat, Dec-17-11, 17:48
I did consider it and had been struggling with what I was doing for all of this time. Now I am back on the Atkins diet. You do not have to be crass with me because I was struggling to do the right thing. Within that 30 days, I had blood work done more than once, spoke with nutritionists and did a lot of research and my health went downhill. Maybe you should find out the whole story before you go off half cocked. This is a support website, so that is what I am using it for. To learn, to give and receive support.

I apologize if you felt this was crass? Direct perhaps, crass I don't think so.

Did you read the original of my post and that which I bolded.

Not knowing the details of your health issues that would require steroid injections 3x/week for 3 years....is pretty hard core

I think I did acknowledge that I DIDN'T know the details of your heatlth issues. Just that your health issues must be serious for you to be on steroids 3X/week for 3 years.

Unfortunately, juicing is one of the worst things you can do if you're insulin resistant. Juicing supports wide swings in your blood glucose levels which in turn causes your body to pump out even more insulin and due to the already insulin resistant state of your cells from the steriods, even more insulin is pumped out and alas, none of it is being used except to store more fat.

And yes...I do understand the desperation that you're feeling, but you can't expect your body to perform at optimal levels when you A) Have health issues that required steroid injections 3X/wk for 3 years; and B) You don't give your body optimal micro and macro nutrients required not only for healing and repair, but also so the you can perform your activities of daily living with out dizziness, hair loss, bleeding gums and bruising (taken from your first post in this thread)

I understand the desperation in your post, but the best thing for you in terms of nutrition IS to follow a carbohydrate controlled way of eating of your chooseing. I usually tell patients that it will take as least half as long for your body to return to equalibrium after long term steriod use and depending on health and type, your body may never return to equalibrium I'm sorry to say. But juicing and meat analogs is not the way to achieve optimal health. A 100 day juice fast will only negatively impact an already struggling metabolism and body which is trying to heal itself.

I stand by my post.

I'll refrain from posting in your threads since it upset you.

Wishing you improved health.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

raven132
Sat, Dec-17-11, 22:54

Just wanted to suggest boiled eggs instead, they are harder to overeat than pork rinds, IMO. :wave:

Fungusgirl
Sun, Dec-18-11, 00:06
Just wanted to suggest boiled eggs instead, they are harder to overeat than pork rinds, IMO. :wave:

I think that be what I may do...I am going to pick up some of that Dukes mayonnaise, also to make some deviled eggs. Thanks! :)

Fungusgirl
Sun, Dec-18-11, 00:10
I'll refrain from posting in your threads since it upset you.[/font]

Wishing you improved health.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

No, it is not that. I have just felt kinda grumpy, and I suppose I took it the wrong way when you said I did not consider what you had said, because I did. I had been checking out everything within that 30 days and ended up even more sick than before. So, no biggie, but I just think that you just went about it the wrong way.
I choose not to think that my body may never recover from juicing and going vegan for a few months and from the steroids. I know I needed meat which is why I had come back here and started eating the Atkins way again...I have also posted other threads about what was going on. You being "direct" was not really direct and I am sorry if you felt I was not considering what you had to say, but I had.

Take care and I invite any advice and suggestions. That is the whole point of going to a support website. :wave:

Elizellen
Sun, Dec-18-11, 06:03
Okay, I am having issues finding the meat and eggs thread...
In the Buddies/challenges forum

Here is their latest one, scroll down the forum to find their original thread to get more info.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=416752

Fungusgirl
Sun, Dec-18-11, 19:58
Thanks! I roasted a turkey last night and just made some turkey soup that is nice and fatty. Just celery, broth and turkey!

daisyduke0
Tue, Dec-20-11, 21:19
Just wanted to say that I wish you all the best. I got sucked into the raw vegan/juicing/water fasting thing a few years ago. I water fasted for 30 days... lost all my muscle. . . was sicker than ever. I did raw vegan for 2 years. . . never felt worse.

I have convinced myself to eat meat - not easy. But I am almost at my goal weight and feel a million times better.

Good luck to you.

Fungusgirl
Tue, Dec-20-11, 21:23
I have convinced myself to eat meat - not easy. But I am almost at my goal weight and feel a million times better.

Good luck to you.

Thank you! It helps knowing someone knows what it was like...I am feeling a lot better so far and hope I will have enough energy to start Pilates in January. :wave: Good luck to you, also!