PDA

View Full Version : Overworking the kidneys?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

loony33
Sun, May-05-02, 20:49
I was surprised when reading an article in this issue of Men's Fitness Magazine talking about H2O.

A Doctor was saying that too much water will overwork the kidneys? I've never heard of this before!

Being a heavy water drinker, I am concerned about the truth of this matter. I drink, but I can't keep track of how much I do.

In "Muscle Fitness" though, I read that pros drink up to 3-4 gallons of water a day near contest time!

This Doctor however said that each person has his/her individual water requirement. Some need more, some less.
I will update this info when I read the article again, or maybe I will quote what Men's Fitness quoted. Maybe I didn't understand the message they wanted to deliver.

Any information would be highly appreciated

Thanks

loony33
Mon, May-06-02, 07:33
From Men's Fitness:

"When you overhydrate your body can create a whole host of problems," warns R Steven Davidson, PhD. "the most basic problem is that you can put too much strain on your kidneys."

End MF

They also said there us no need to go beyond 1.5 - 2, and 3 gals is overdoing it

Let me know

Thanks

rustpot
Mon, May-06-02, 09:08
Some years ago Leah Betts a teenager in Chelmsford Essex collapsed after taking an Ecstasy tablet and died as a result of drinking too much water.

This is also a condition that affects long distance athletes and cyclists.

For example, water intoxication was reported in 18% of marathon runners and 29% of finishers in a Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon in studies published in the Annals of Internal Medicine and in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercises.

What happens is that the athlete consumes large amounts of water over the course of the event, or in Leah's case after the dyhydration effect of the drug, and blood plasma( the liquid part of the blood) increases. As this takes place, the salt content of the blood is diluted. At the same time sweating occurs in the athlete or in Leahs case the dancing and further salt loss occurs. Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain ,heart and muscle function.

As the blood dillutes it is thought that water is sucked into the brain cells under osmotic pressure, causing swelling. This increased pressure in Leah case caused coma and then death.

The coroner said that Leahs blood sodium level had fallen to 126 millimoles per litre compared to a normal range of 135 to 145.

The official name for this condition is Hyponatremia . The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration(apathy, confusion,nausea, and fatigue). If untreated can cause coma and even death.

Its not just athletes that are at risk but has become a serious problem for hikers in hot climates such as the Grand Canyon.
Fears of dehydration have led to a mistaken belief that the safe thing to do is to drink as much and as often as possible. But even with drinking water there can be too much of a good thing.

How much is too much?
Difficult to answer as it all depends on what ever else you are doing. But it seem to be at least more than 3 litres or at a rate of more than 16oz and hour.

Natrushka
Mon, May-06-02, 09:36
Originally posted by loony33
A Doctor was saying that too much water will overwork the kidneys? I've never heard of this before!

I'm going to steal a quote from Doreen to answer this. The above quote is tantamount to saying "you should avoid doing any cardio - it overworks your heart and lungs"

This is what kidneys were designed to do.

Nat

loony33
Mon, May-06-02, 17:29
Rustpot Sir,
Thank you for this valuable information.

Nat,
Thanks again for your response.

Nat, talking about Doreen's quote, if you overdo cardio based on my humble knowledge, you will be causing some damage!

As Men's Fitness and Ruspot said, too much of a good thing is not better.

I am concerned because I easily drink more than 5 liters.
1 liter in the morning, 3 at work, and at least 1 in the evenings.
I lift weights every other day, and do cardio and abs in between.
I just want to make sure I am not overworking an organ that is supposed to do some work.

Thanks again to both of you
:wave:

agonycat
Mon, May-06-02, 18:35
It seems that the most critical problem people run into by drinking too much water is not the kidney function but the drop in sodium levels to the bloodstream and organs.

Vitamins, minerals and micronutrients are critical in good health. You may want to consult with a doctor or nutritionalist about replenishing electrolites upon working out and drinking 5 to 6 litres of water a day just to assure yourself.

There is always a balance to maintain. Finding it is the challenge :)

Doodle
Thu, May-09-02, 11:55
AGGHHHH I am having a head squeeze moment! :eek:
Is there no end to the conflicting messages and information :confused: ?
Doods.

agonycat
Thu, May-09-02, 12:16
Doods not conflicting information.

You need to drink 64 oz of water plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you wish to lose. That is standard.

Some people go a bit over board on drinking water. By the gallons worth, which does cause problems and can cause death. It really depends on the dilution of sodium levels. I merely stated to check with a health professional for their opinion on the matter for "peace of mind".

Lena gal
Thu, May-09-02, 15:02
I think we all need to exercise a little good old common sense, I can still hear my mother saying "all things in moderation" I mean after all, we all have intelligence and know, or should know,
when our bodies have had enough of something.

Listen to your body, you'll feel bloated if you drink too much water, I know I do,
it's not that hard is it to figure out when enough if enough and yes, anything can be overdone :)