PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

McCauley91
Sat, Dec-10-11, 14:03
Quick question. I know peanut butter isn't allowed on induction, but I remember in the past when I did Atkins that it never stalled me..... It is a YMMV thing or what? I've found that a spoon of Peanut butter kills cravings like no other. Would it be ok occasionally to have a spoon if I am going crazy with cravings and it would save me from cheating?

RDRWRTR
Sat, Dec-10-11, 14:24
I would say go ahead, if you can stop after one spoonful and it doesn't cause cravings on its own.

But Dr. Atkins would tell you no, wait til you're on OWL and progressing thru the rungs.

McCauley91
Sat, Dec-10-11, 15:26
I just don't understand why it's forbidden lol.

cnmLisa
Sat, Dec-10-11, 17:35
I just don't understand why it's forbidden lol.

1. Peanut butter is made from legumes not nuts. Legumes are rung 6 on the carb ladder.

2. It's a very rare individual who can stop at just one TBS of peanut butter.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Kisal
Sat, Dec-10-11, 17:43
It's a very rare individual who can stop at just one TBS of peanut butterI'm certainly not one of those rare folks. I learned the hard way that there's no such thing as one spoonful of peanut butter. For me, I'm lucky if I manage to stop after eating half the jarful. :rolleyes: :blush:

reign
Sat, Dec-10-11, 18:28
I'm certainly not one of those rare folks. I learned the hard way that there's no such thing as one spoonful of peanut butter. For me, I'm lucky if I manage to stop after eating half the jarful. :rolleyes: :blush:

I agree! No pb for me. My kids love the stuff and its hard!

hysteria
Sat, Dec-10-11, 18:33
This is my *upteenth* time around with LC and while it was VERY difficult the first couple weeks to not stick a spoon in the pb jar, I am VERY glad I have not.
Also - what type of pb? Natural? Or JIF/Skippy's/etc...? The latter grouping is full of sugar & corn syrup & more than likely to increase cravings rather than satiate them.
Again, it's probably a YMMV issue, but I really believe not eating nuts / pb / a lot of Splenda (once a week) has helped ALOT with cravings.
Looking back pb typically was the start of a slippery slope back to carbs (for me).

PinguChick
Sun, Dec-11-11, 15:25
I occasionally ate a tbsp of peanut butter throughout my weight loss as my one sort of treat. But Its easy for me to stop at one small spoonful.

For a while I did switch to coconut manna - which is simillar in texture and richness to pb, and the added benefit of a good amount of coconut oil in it which aids weight loss. Also it is a nut, not a legume, so it is easier to add in on an earlier rung of owl.

McCauley91
Mon, Dec-12-11, 12:42
Educate me about this coconut oil. It's a new concept to me.

Kendal
Thu, Dec-15-11, 08:06
Aahh, peanut butter, I must stay away from peanut butter. Once I start, it's hard to stop. :yum:

kayekaye12
Thu, Dec-15-11, 22:37
I've never cared about peanut butter but love coconut. Can't wait to try the manna. Thanks for sharing it.

perfectfit
Fri, Dec-16-11, 00:02
Quick question. I know peanut butter isn't allowed on induction, but I remember in the past when I did Atkins that it never stalled me..... It is a YMMV thing or what? I've found that a spoon of Peanut butter kills cravings like no other. Would it be ok occasionally to have a spoon if I am going crazy with cravings and it would save me from cheating?

If you can keep it to one tablespoon a day then I do not see a problem as long as it is the natural type with no added sugars or hydrogenated oils in it.

jellysoda
Mon, Dec-19-11, 20:51
Bump.

I need this thread. I'm having a peanut butter thing right now. So good and so bad. Get that crap away from me! Okay, im better now.

Yucko, its so easy to take steps backward...

PinguChick
Tue, Dec-20-11, 18:35
Coconut Manna is amazing! If you get some, keep in mind that it is solid at cooler temperatures. Put the jar in some hot water for an hour or so and it softens up to the consistancy of peanut butter. Just be careful not to eat too much, as it is very calorie dense too!

pengu1
Tue, Dec-20-11, 20:21
Coconut Manna is amazing! If you get some, keep in mind that it is solid at cooler temperatures. Put the jar in some hot water for an hour or so and it softens up to the consistancy of peanut butter. Just be careful not to eat too much, as it is very calorie dense too!

Where would I buy this stuff? Is it real coco-nutty?

Elizellen
Wed, Dec-21-11, 04:17
Is it the kind of thing you could make yourself from coconut "flesh" as you can make nut butters just by wizzing nuts into a smooth consistency?

Elizellen
Wed, Dec-21-11, 04:19
I did a quick google search and found out you can make it even from dessicated coconut, so I won't have to wait to find fresh coconuts to try this! :thup:

http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2011/11949/make-coconut-butter-thermomi.html

PinguChick
Wed, Dec-21-11, 10:50
Yes, it is very coconutty! I'm in Canada and I buy it from Well.ca. But you can buy it directly from Nutiva too. Just google "coconut manna".

aj_cohn
Sun, Dec-25-11, 14:14
Coconut "manna" is just a trade name for coconut butter. If you google that term, you'll find the best price.

mike_d
Sun, Dec-25-11, 18:53
coconut butter ...

Googling now :yum:

I don't think it will make in a blender, the oil/juice might separate out. Warm the coconut 1st in the microwave?

http://ohsheglows.com/2010/06/22/homemade-coconut-butter/

GreenFern
Mon, Jan-02-12, 21:05
oh i love coconut manna..aslo good mixed with a bit of organic PB. yummy!