PDA

View Full Version : onions???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cheraismom
Fri, Apr-27-01, 09:21
so are onions a no no? I like to have sauteed onions, mushrooms and green peppers with my meat, is that a no no??? what about green onions ? thanks

LCSue
Fri, Apr-27-01, 10:39
Sadly, onions are one of those 'restricted' veggies. I have lately been using pearl onions. According to the package, 2/3 cup is 7 carbs. I easily fit 14 pearl onions into the measuring cup, so that would be .5 each. I love 'em, and often have 4 with my dinner for only 2 carbs. Somehow having 4 whole, though tiny, onions feels more satisfying than part of a bigger one.

Green onions are allowed at all stages. Not sure what the carb count is there.

r.mines
Fri, Apr-27-01, 10:49
One of my favourite veggies!

Onions aren't a no-no, but as LCSue says, ya gotta watch it with them. 1/2 cup of onions is 5.5 carbs after subtracting fibre. Green onions are a better carb bargain at 2.4 carbs per 1/2 cup, after subtracting fibre.

I love onions and can easily eat 1/2 large onion at a meal (I like 'em sauteed with mushrooms and green pepper too, cheraismom!). So I have to restrict them, or I'd go overboard.

Rachel

doreen T
Fri, Apr-27-01, 11:15
hi cheraismom,

I see from another post you're kinda just getting started. Besides reading at least one of the program books, and checking out our Tips page, it would be helpful for you to have a food counts resource ... something where you could look up the carb content of foods .. :)

The best food counts resource is Corrine Netzer's "the Complete Book of Food Counts", it's $7.50 US / $9.99 Cdn. Thousands of foods, Name Brands, Fast food lists too. Indespensible.

Best online resource is the USDA nutrient database.... http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl .

There's a handy food counts list that you can print out located here - http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart5a.htm .

And finally, here's a handy food counts program that you can download for FREE. http://www.silvertriad.com/ Once it's on yer desktop, then you don't need to be connected to the internet to use it. Just type in the food, and you can even choose different portion sizes too. The list is over 6200 foods, and is set up to look like a food label, so it's really easy to use... :)

Good luck, and happy lowcarbing

Doreen

slaybl
Fri, Jan-03-14, 02:39
I ate onions and green peppers yesterday and I think it knocked me out of ketosis.

Elizellen
Fri, Jan-03-14, 04:57
How many carbs were in those onions and peppers?

ParisMama
Fri, Jan-03-14, 07:22
Green onions (scallions) have a lower carb count, as do leeks. Both can be sautéed and add flavor. I cook a lot with onions but have learned to halve (or less) the amount in recipes to keep carbs low. And keeping some raw for topping can up the flavor too.

Liz53
Fri, Jan-03-14, 09:06
I ate onions and green peppers yesterday and I think it knocked me out of ketosis.

If you ate more than 50 g carbs for the whole day, it may well have. Any idea how much you ate? Just eat your normal LC way for a day or two and your body will remember how to make and use ketones.

I do the same as ParisMama, cutting the amount of onions in a recipe - in my case to 30 g or less per serving.

Elizellen
Fri, Jan-03-14, 10:42
Seeing your other posts around the forums, slaybl, I bet it was more likely the sugar in the cough syrup you also had that caused the problem.

Matlock
Fri, Jan-03-14, 10:53
There is spice used in Indian cooking, asafetida. It's used by some religious sects, whose religions forbid eating onions and garlic, as a substitute. Just a pinch fried in oil adds a flavor that is vaguely reminiscent of onions or leeks. I use it sometimes, more out of laziness than carb concerns, actually. When I use chopped onions I use a fraction of what a recipe calls for.

Ms Arielle
Fri, Jan-03-14, 21:11
I look forward to the day when I can eat more onions-- it is a know cancer fighter as are mushrooms. For now I indulge in scallions, and rarely yellow onions. Someday.

michelek32
Fri, Jan-10-14, 09:33
I haven't seen anywhere that onions are not aloud just to use small amounts because of high Carb count I use 2 tablespoons-1.5 carbs or at the most 1/4 cup which is 4.3 carbs thats for cooked onions by the little book I have.