PDA

View Full Version : Stalled after 1 month

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ully
Thu, Nov-17-11, 10:45
Hello everyone,

I hope I will get some support, because I feel frustrated. I have started Atkins 1 month ago, hoping to shed 20-30 lbs eventually. (I am 40 lbs above my ideal weight).
I am still on induction. I drink my water, I eat my veggies and supplements, and I feel OK - not great, but fine. I have lost 4 lbs in the first 2 weeks, and now I am gaining back! 2 lb back in a week, and no inches lost.
My menu includes eggs, bacon, heavy cream, cheese, fatty meats and fish. I try to stay whithin 2-3 oz with cheese. From veggies, I eat broccoli, eggplants, peppers and salad.
I used to follow calorie-restricting diet before, and I usually lose about a pound a week when I have 1400 cal a day, but I am always hungry with this amount, that is why I switched to Atkins.
Now, even with Atkins I need to eat about 1600 cal not to feel hunger. And here you go - I stalled, and started gaining weght back! A new red dress that I bought as a reward for giving up apples (and it is one size smaller of course) is getting dusty in the closet...
Any ideas or advice? Thanks!

verde
Sun, Nov-20-11, 14:41
It sounds like you are doing FINE.

First thing: A stall of up to a few weeks following your first few weeks on induction is really, really common. If you keep doing what you're doing, it'll generally work itself out.

Second: You're a woman, and in your first month of Atkins, meaning you haven't yet seen exactly how things shake out with your monthly cycle and water weight. We all experience it a little differently (lots of people gain just around TOM, but I puff up around ovulation too, go figure), but everyone has these temporary gains that, again, are best addressed by just sticking to plan.

Take a deep breath, and just keep doing what you're doing. If you go 4-6 weeks with no losses, then it might be time to think about changing something, but for now, just give your body some time to get used to what's going on. A lot of this is a mental adjustment, for what it's worth- I think we all wanted to be fast losers and secretly thought we would be.. We do have them on the board, and they're great inspiration, but truthfully, slow and steady with a few stalls thrown in for good measure is really a much more common experience. If you can wrap your mind around that (for real for real), it'll be much smoother sailing for you.

Good luck!

Ully
Mon, Nov-21-11, 16:06
It sounds like you are doing FINE.

Thank you, verde!
I will hang on there and see what happens next. I was really worried that something is not working well (probably looking at fast losers), but now i feel better. :)

Elizellen
Tue, Nov-22-11, 06:56
Welcome to the forum, Ully :wave:

In addition to what Verde wrote, this info might reassure you that you are doing OK

Back in Dr Atkins' days a moderator on a different Atkins support board contacted the Atkins center and was told by the staff that a loss of between 5% and 10% of what you hope to lose over the whole first 14 days induction was considered "normal".

So for someone hoping to lose 40 pounds a loss of between 2 and 4 pounds over that time would not be unexpected and you were bang on that!!

Ully
Fri, Nov-25-11, 13:06
Welcome to the forum, Ully :wave:

In addition to what Verde wrote, this info might reassure you that you are doing OK

Thank you, Elizellen!
This is very reassuring. However, I have gained some more weight meantime, being in ketosis, eating about 60% fat, and drinking lots of water.
Its been 5 weeks since I have started my induction. My weight before was 168, it dropped to 162, but today it was 165. And it is volume, not just weight, because my pants are tight on me again...

McCauley91
Fri, Nov-25-11, 23:39
Are your calories up?

tg5447
Sat, Nov-26-11, 02:30
i have had this yo-yo effect too, i have been on atkins for 10 weeks and have only lost in the first 3 weeks, i havent lost anything for 7 weeks now, but i am patient, and i know if i throw the towel in it will be back to square one. i am never hungry and am enjoying food guilt free so even if i only lose a pound a month or less i am going to stick with it. what i am trying to say is if you feel better and dont get hungry all the time and are losing weight albeit slowly, then its a no brainer. keep it up, relax and dont jump on the scales all the time and that red dress will fit like a glove! :D

Ully
Sat, Nov-26-11, 10:39
Are your calories up?
Yes, they are. To maintain weight I need about 1500, but I often eat 1700, somehow fat does not kill my appetite.

Ully
Sat, Nov-26-11, 10:43
keep it up, relax and dont jump on the scales all the time and that red dress will fit like a glove! :D
Thank you! :)

McCauley91
Sat, Nov-26-11, 11:25
That's probably why you are gaining. You are taking in more calories than what you need. Are you drinking enough water? Try drinking a bottle or two when you are hungry. Eat slowly. If you want more food, analyze whether it is true hunger or just the taste that you want. Wait 20 minutes before getting seconds etc.

But seriously though, that's why you are gaining. Your calorie intake is too high. Even though Atkins is about counting carbs, it's really the calorie reduction through the elimination of carbs that's causing weight loss. Remember, one carb=4 calories, protein is 4 and fat is 9.

Ully
Sun, Nov-27-11, 11:37
That's probably why you are gaining. You are taking in more calories than what you need.
I thought that the whole point of Atkins is that one does not need to count calories, because the body will learn to regulate itself and will either shut the appetite down, or burn the extra calories with heat production or whatever.
If this is not true, then I miss the whole point of Atkins.
My calorie number to lose a pound a week is 1400. It is way easier to fill myself within this number substituting fat meats for lean cuts and cream for skim milk. Eating 1400 cals I am hungrier on Atkins then on a diet with lower fat, because the volume I eat is way higher on low fat. I am confused... :q:

Elizellen
Sun, Nov-27-11, 12:15
I doubt it is the number of calories, as 1700 is not many for someone your weight, Ully.

More likely either to be totally unrelated to what you eat (hormones/monthly cycles play a big part I think especially for women) or that some food you are including is affecting you adversely.

Have you posted a detailed list of a few days worth of your menus including amounts of everything you ate and drank to see if anyone can spot a possible culprit yet?

We have several members who are great at brainstorming/troubleshooting menus who might be able to help.