PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lokismum
Sat, Nov-12-11, 05:15
Hi to everyone.
I have just started low carb, high fat dieting. I have had a lot of worrying over this because I have always believed in the opposite. Hardly any animal protein apart from yoghourt and feta cheese. Plenty of veg and salads, which of course I still eat. This is in spite of my cravings just vanishing on the first day, and feeling so much more energetic, and stronger. However my default diet is as high carb as I can make it, and as low in veg and fruit as I can go. In other words highly processed junk, mainly high in fat and sugar. I would always make a chocolate cake with very thick icing, and just eat and eat until it was gone. My cravings were totally out of control, and it got so that if a thought of food, doughnuts, cakes, whatever came into my head I would indulge as soon as I could. I had to have food around otherwise I would panic. I thought about food all day unless I was so stuffed I felt awful. Two hours later I was able to eat a bit more! What a dreadful way to live. A bit like when I smoked over forty a day. I managed to stop that after thirty six years, but I could never stop the cravings. I have managed over the years to lose a lot of weight, then put it back including several more pounds, several times. My largest weight loss was one hundred and nineteen pounds. I never got that heavy again thank goodness. I need to lose forty five pounds. I love the food I am eating now, but am never hungry, so am down to two meals a day. My problem is constipation for which I take psyllium every night. However this morning I had the opposite problem. I have always had to take psyllium whatever I am eating. I am hoping this diet will sort me out. I do eat a salad with my breakfast of fat and protein, and gently steamed low carb veggies at night. Any tips would be great.

aj_cohn
Sat, Nov-12-11, 16:35
Hi lokismum,

I hesitate to offer any tips. As Loki's mother, you are capable of introducing great mischief into one's life. So, all I will say is that some members of this forum have found that by avoiding the gluten found in grains and by increasing their magnesium intake, they have resolved their constipation problem.

newbjones
Mon, Nov-14-11, 07:04
Do you drink a lot of water?

MileHi-303
Tue, Nov-15-11, 11:47
You should make sure that you are eating high fiber veggies. You can't have much, but eating 1/2 an avocado each day should help. Also, water, water, water! If you think you're drinking too much water, drink more.

I've also found that even if you're not feeling very hungry, you still have to eat. If you're not hungry for a meal, just eat a handful of almonds, or a spoonful of peanut butter.

I'm new at this also, but haven't had much of a problem in the 'going' department, maybe because I have cut coffee out of my diet. Hope the advice helps.