PDA

View Full Version : Desperate

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

slb53
Sun, Oct-23-11, 11:34
I'm desperate to get back on the wagon. I did really well for several months. Lost 30+ lbs and then crashed and just can't seem to get back to limiting carbs. Really need some support to get through one day at a time. Work is a hot bed of junk food and I've completely lost any discipline to stop myself from snacking. I'm to find some support on this board.
thanks
Sandy

raven132
Sun, Oct-23-11, 11:46
You can do it! One good decision at a time and be proud of each good decision you make.

Kirsteen
Sun, Oct-23-11, 12:09
Hi there, I sympathise. I loosened up on low-carbing, and found it really hard to get back to strict low-carbing again. It took me almost two years of saying every day that I'd start today/tomorrow. What helped me in the end was giving up caffeine! I went onto decaffeinated coffee and for whatever reason, it enabled me to get back onto low-carb easily. Maybe there is one thing which is giving you cravings and if you identify what it is, and eliminate it, you'll be able to get back onto the diet again.

One thing I would like to suggest is to try to have a no-carb breakfast, to see if that will help you. Tuna fish with mayonnaise is easy enough to have and is quite satisfying. Cheese is another thing, but I personally find it difficult to limit cheese, especially when I am hungry. Some people like eggs in the morning, but I find they make me feel hungry in the morning, so I avoid them till later in the day.

Another suggestion I have is that at work, perhaps you could try having a bottle of water handy, along with low-carb snacks, so that instead of reaching for a snack, you just have a glug of water, and then if you still feel that you need something, you could have a low-carb nibble.

Like the previous poster said, it's just a step at a time.. Instead of thinking it's all or nothing, maybe you could keep to low-carb for your snacks and breakfast. Then once you're in that swing, start to cut down the carbs later in the day, either by having another low-carb meal, or by reducing the carbs in the meals. I have started to add legumes in small amounts to my meals, because they leave me satisfied for longer and as long as I don't eat too much of them at once, they seem to give me energy and stabilise my system. Maybe you could try something like that, as a substitute for pasta, rice, potatoes etc.. Also, make sure that you are not hungry, because hunger always weakens the resolve.

Best of luck with getting back on track.. I am sure that people here will support you, so keep coming.

slb53
Wed, Oct-26-11, 17:52
Well had two good days and two not so good days. Work has been stressful with some layoffs yesterday. Off work tomorrow so I hope I can tow the line tomorrow. Friday's going to be tough because of Halloween. Wish me luck!

raven132
Thu, Oct-27-11, 08:40
Good Luck!

Kirsteen
Thu, Oct-27-11, 13:39
Well done for getting started. Sorry to hear about people losing their jobs at work. That must be hard for everyone. Remember to try to take low-carb snacks to work, so you're not so tempted.

I wonder if there is any way of making Halloween a little less damaging.. Rather than eating, etc., how about using your time and energy doing something different.. Maybe make a pumpkin lantern? I carved a gorgeous cinderella coach out of a pumpkin a couple of years ago.. It was beautiful, especially when I lit it, and I really loved doing it. Pumpkin is easier to carve than I expected. You could also try to decorate a safe area with candles and other stuff (making sure there is no fire-risk, of course), and possibly do some other Halloween type activities. If you mainly do things for children, then they'd love to see Halloween decor, dress up or play traditional games, like ducking for apples, and other such activities.. The evening doesn't need to revolve around food and sweet stuff. This could be a good opportunity to find new (and more fun) ways of approaching celebrations and events. I used to host a lot of parties for children, and they don't always eat a lot. Last party I threw, I had healthy food, plus ice-cream sodas, and jelly and ice-cream, and the kids were thrilled. They played games, dressed up, had an absolute ball, and there were no tempting left-over cakes and cookies to deal with.

Good luck for the next few days.

pro0digy
Thu, Oct-27-11, 15:42
I know it is tough , I was going through similar situation after loosing 100 lbs on LC , I know it is difficult to start again but I just convinced myself that it is not or never . If you have constant craving try hot herbal tea it works for me keeps your mouth engaged and mind away from snacks.

toastnoats
Thu, Oct-27-11, 16:21
I know it is tough , I was going through similar situation after loosing 100 lbs on LC , I know it is difficult to start again but I just convinced myself that it is not or never . If you have constant craving try hot herbal tea it works for me keeps your mouth engaged and mind away from snacks.

I whole heartily agree with you.. I turn to coffee when I'm hungry and it's my "Snack" time goto.. I love it =o)

GlendaRC
Thu, Oct-27-11, 23:14
Well had two good days and two not so good days. Work has been stressful with some layoffs yesterday. Off work tomorrow so I hope I can tow the line tomorrow. Friday's going to be tough because of Halloween. Wish me luck!
I posted in your journal ... I see it's been pretty neglected since 2007! Welcome back ... I hope you check in regularly so we can offer you the support you need.