PDA

View Full Version : Muscle pain

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

avalongirl
Fri, May-03-02, 12:56
Hi all,

Am brand new to this site and I love it! Lots of good info...however, not much mention of PAIN. :confused: Experiencing terrible back pain, thought I had slipped a disc but when a friend found out I was low-carbing she thought that was why.

Someone please explain why this is happening!? How can this affect my muscles in such a short time?

Also, having major dramas with chocolate. Bread, potatoes, don't miss them a bit but the choccie fits are killing me.... any suggestions?

Thanks for listening!
Avalongirl

rtjdk2
Fri, May-03-02, 13:16
Just keep working threw the induction and your chocolate cravings will subside also... I use to be a major chocolate junkie... Had to have it all the time... But now I dont miss it ... After induction i waited for about 1 month before i decided to try a legal chocolate treat... I will give you some advice that some one told me.... Go out and buy some unsweeteded bakers chocolate... When you feel the need to have chocolate nibble on it.. It gives you the taste of what real chocolate taste like UGGGG... Actualy you are craving sugar and not chocolate... I went threw that and worked threw it... I have confidence that you can also... Chocolate without sugar is nasty... so I know its definatly sugar you are craving... The induction part will help you with those cravings if you give it time...Just drink a glass of water or eat soemthing fat or high in protein when you get those cravings....

Tammy

agonycat
Fri, May-03-02, 13:24
Is the pain located about mid back right below the lungs? If so it could be the kidneys. You may be one of the few that have a pre existing kidney problem that the low carb diet has brought your attention to.

Try upping your water intake to help flush the kidneys out. If the pain persists you may want to go to your doctor to have it checked out.

Please note that low carb diets DO NOT cause kidney damage or liver problems/disease. They merely alert one as to a problem because of the increase in water and ketones.

:) Hope you feel better soon.

LittleAnne
Fri, May-03-02, 14:32
I'll agree with agonycat that it sounds as if this could be pains around the kidneys. I saw some posts about a month ago from two newbies who were experiencing the same problem, but it was likely that it was from drinking too much, rather than too little water. You will need to be the judge of that, but if it persists, get it checked out.

Here are the threads I mentioned.http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38021&highlight=kidney
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37986&highlight=kidney

avalongirl
Fri, May-03-02, 14:42
Thanks everybody for the very quick replies. I am impressed to say the least. :)

Nope, not kidney pain, but that is something I will watch out for in my future days as a low-carber... I guess that means forever!

But aside from the kidney thing, is there a connection between muscular discomfort (ie. PAIN) and low carbs? :help:

And I guess the truth is out... I am a sugar addict. Even though I know about the blood sugar leveling and why I am craving and how my body is working I can't seem to stop! It is giving me the rage with myself as I am doing so well with the rest of the plan, lots of exercise as well.

Thank-you for your positive comments, guys. It means a lot as most of the people I know have grave doubts about a plan like this. Does anyone else experience this type of negativity? I feel like I have to be doing all of this in secret and that's tough.

Cheers,
Avalongirl

agonycat
Fri, May-03-02, 14:47
Now since we have that out of the way ;)

How about minerals/vitamins? Are you taking Magnesium, Potassium and Calicum? I know when I first started this way of life a year ago, I had some major leg cramps, joint aches. Supplementing my diet with these minerals has made it all a distant memory :)

Lisa N
Fri, May-03-02, 17:42
Avalongirl...

the negative responses are quite common and are usually from people who have not read the book and understand very little about this way of eating or from people who have followed the plan incorrectly and naturally felt bad. They are only repeating what they haver read and heard from the almost equally misinformed media. I can't say I've ever experienced muscle pain from low carb, but the suggestions above are good ones. There's a lot of people here who are very knowledgable and good sources of information. I know it's hard, but don't give in to the sugar cravings or you will only have to start over again with withdrawal. It should pass soon. Good luck!

katrine77
Sun, May-05-02, 13:03
Just a couple of thoughts I'd like to share.

I have had low back pain all my life. The times it gets more aggravated are when I have begun to do situps to strengthen those muscles without doing cardio to burn fat. The strenthened muscles weight more than fat, and pull on my low back

The other times are during constipation. The extra weight from not have a bowel movement also seems to pull on the back muscles.

k