PDA

View Full Version : Beef Jerky

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Melsie52
Sat, Oct-15-11, 23:58
Could someone please tell me which beef jerky do you eat. Everyone I find at Costco or the supermarket has sugar and carbs. I sure love the stuff, but hard to find a good one. I made it once, but it took forever to make and I just can't make it anymore.

Starting up Atkins and sticking to it!!!

Thank you all for your suggestions,

:wave: Melanie

Elizellen
Sun, Oct-16-11, 02:43
In UK there are no brands suitable for Atkins because of the sugars used in the curing of them :(

So we have to make our own or find a friend who does.

If you want to use it frequently as a mainstay of your Atkineering maybe think of buying a dehydrater so you can prepare the meat, load up and leave it to do its work.

If te cost is too much ask around your family/friends to see if anyone has one they don't use and would be willing to lend it to you indefinitely.

It is the kind of kitchen gadget people will often buy then not use much so you never know, someone might have one lurking in the back of a cupboard.

Buttoni
Sun, Oct-16-11, 08:02
I just bought a dehydrator, but you can make it in the oven, too. I did for many years. Here's my latest recipe for jerky: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/peggys-beef-jerky/

RachelBB
Sun, Oct-16-11, 11:00
I'm not sure there are any commercial brands without sugar added. I also make my own, and trust me you get faster as you go. The dehydration time does take several hours, but then you have enough to last for days or weeks, depending on how many trays you gave on your dehydrator. A jerkey gun, some ground beef, seasonings, you're all set.

h_curtis
Sun, Oct-16-11, 13:33
If you make it yourself the quality is WAY better than commercial stuff. You control the ingredients and it won't have tons of garbage in it and of course sugar. Dehydrators are cheap and worth the investment.

laffin
Sun, Oct-16-11, 13:54
One brand I like is JuJu Jerky (http://www.jujujerkystore.com/Articles.asp?ID=253) . Much lower sodium than most other brands and 2-3 carbs per ounce, depending on the flavor.

Melsie52
Sun, Oct-16-11, 16:24
I will definitley be buying a dehydrator and make it myself. Starting induction on October 27th. Slowly starting to get rid of the carbs.

Thank you all,
Melanie