PDA

View Full Version : Back with another question!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JFP 1975
Mon, Oct-03-11, 16:44
Hi all :wave:

I have another calorie/appetite question. I posted a similar thread back in August (Here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=431844)) and got a lot of good advice.

Lately, I have found myself eating even less. I haven't been tracking my calories, but I would guess I'm now eating in the 1000-1200/day range. And honest, it is because my appetite has been waning, not something I am doing consciously. Admittedly, I was sick last week so that reduced my appetite even more, but this downward trend started before that.

Everything I eat is on plan for me (I'm in OWL and I just don't cheat, ever), I eat when I'm hungry, and I eat to fullness (but not so full I'm stuffed). My ratios on average are around 75% fat/20% protein/5% carb.

I'm worried about two things...1) that I'm not maximizing my weight loss because I am 'restricting' calories (even though I'm NOT restricting purposefully) and 2) that I'm setting myself up for a stall.

Thoughts/advice please??? Should I just start making myself up the calories by sneaking them in? For example, I could add a tablespoon or two of oil to my morning shake, etc....

CMCM
Mon, Oct-03-11, 16:54
Hi all :wave:

I have another calorie/appetite question. I posted a similar thread back in August (Here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=431844)) and got a lot of good advice.

Lately, I have found myself eating even less. I haven't been tracking my calories, but I would guess I'm now eating in the 1000-1200/day range. And honest, it is because my appetite has been waning, not something I am doing consciously. Admittedly, I was sick last week so that reduced my appetite even more, but this downward trend started before that.

Everything I eat is on plan for me (I'm in OWL and I just don't cheat, ever), I eat when I'm hungry, and I eat to fullness (but not so full I'm stuffed). My ratios on average are around 75% fat/20% protein/5% carb.

I'm worried about two things...1) that I'm not maximizing my weight loss because I am 'restricting' calories (even though I'm NOT restricting purposefully) and 2) that I'm setting myself up for a stall.

Thoughts/advice please??? Should I just start making myself up the calories by sneaking them in? For example, I could add a tablespoon or two of oil to my morning shake, etc....

It sounds like you are doing everything just right! Like you, when I eat right and don't cheat, I am able to find my natural hunger (whereas in the past, I ate when not hungry, ate until I was stuffed, etc.). I track my calories, but I'm often surprised at how low my calories are sometimes. I read all these things about eating too few calories, but I don't believe that any more. When I eat this way, my weight loss is the best it can be, I'm eating only when actually hungry and only until my hunger is satisfied, and it seems just right. I don't think you'd need to cut calories or anything to speed up weight loss. You sound like you're at a good level, and each of us can really only lose weight at a moderate pace if all the dietary factors are in place.

Brinethery
Mon, Oct-03-11, 18:17
Hey, first off I would like to say congratulations on losing 56 pounds. That is awesome!

Your ratios look great. I say just keep on keepin' on. If you're hungry, eat and if not then that's okay too. I didn't have much of an appetite when I started school due to TOM and panic attacks but that subsided and things are back to normal.

You're doing great on your weightloss :-)

Whofan
Tue, Oct-04-11, 08:34
I havn't lost as much weight as you, but the smaller me seems to need and is satisfied on fewer calories than before. That seems logical and normal to me. In your case, 56lbs is a lot of lost weight that your body and appetite are adjusting to. As others have said, sounds like you are doing everything right. If you are losing weight, even slowly, you run the risk that interfering to try to "maximise" it might backfire. As for stalling, you can't double-guess when or if that will happen. I wouldn't worry about it in advance, just deal with it if it does (and there's lots of information here for that). Congratulations on your success, very inspiring!

JFP 1975
Tue, Oct-04-11, 09:33
Thanks for the advice and encouragement! It's funny, I don't really see 56lbs as a lot, and I think it's because I have a long way to go...but I guess upon reflection it is pretty signifcant--thank you for helping me see that!

And I am relieved to hear that I should just keep on keepin' on...I think I get antsy about total daily (caloric) intake being low in part because eating "so little" is pretty foreign to me (I used to be able to eat a house...a family member once asked me, in jest, if I had a hollow leg!). And I have always been warned of the dangers of eating too little (i.e. causing metabolism to slow, thus hindering weight loss).

I'm just going to continue as-is & see how it goes for now...I guess there will be time to tweak when/if things actually start going wrong! :lol: