PDA

View Full Version : Loving LC!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joanbarto
Wed, Sep-28-11, 18:00
Hi! My boyfriend and I have just started the LC lifestyles as of August 28, 2011. We have soo many questions :help:

Thankful I found this site and looking forward to getting answers. We use our Atkins book as a bible of sorts.

Recently, we came across the Atkins shakes and bars.....the first bite was heaven but found out a few days ago this is a bad idea. I looked forward to my treat, too :(

Since we are both LC'n it has made it easier to a degree, but he is a truckdriver and I have really had to do some homework on how to feed him during the week...and keep him interested. Any advice or new recipe would be great!!

freckles
Wed, Sep-28-11, 18:49
Hello and welcome! :wave:

I know of at least one truck driver who has posted here before that lc's on the road prepping/cooking his own food. Hopefully he will see your post.

He has a blog or youtube account too. So maybe you could google looking?

Kirsteen
Thu, Sep-29-11, 02:50
Men need so many calories that it must be difficult to manage his meals.. I don't know what level of OWL your husband is on now, but here are some (mostly very quick) ideas which you'll both enjoy:

LUNCH IDEAS
Take one large tub, a couple of small tubs, a picnic knife, fork and spoon every day. Winter take a flask of soup.

Food ideas:

Roasted chicken, meat, boiled eggs, quiche, cooked sausages/chorizo, low-carb pizza with a variety of different salads, such as:

1.Mix sliced tomatoes, sliced boiled eggs and mayonnaise for a yummy salad.
2. Greek salad: feta cheese, lettuce, tomato, olive oil.
4. Prawn cocktail salad.
5. Chopped tuna and avocado with a little sesame oil or a different dressing. (Add a few chick peas or butter beans if higher up the carb ladder).
6. Raw broccoli with a curry mayonnaise
7. Raita - cubed cucumber in creamy, minty mayo/yoghurt mix - very light
8 Cheesy coleslaw
9. Mix together chopped bacon, tomatoes, lettuce and a mustardy mayonnaise. That recipe comes from "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution".
10. Curried tuna, avocado & tomato salad - recipe here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=433831

Everyone loves this quiche:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087

There are pizza recipes here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=432425

This is a fantastic, filling soup (you can make it with bought meatballs):

http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php?do=viewrecipe&recipe_id=1019616

This is celery and stilton soup. Cut down on the water to make it more rich in flavour:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php?do=viewrecipe&recipe_id=1019332

Other ideas:

1. Tuna dip with raw cauliflower and courgettes to dip in. (Mash a can of tuna with mayonnaise, and add lemon juice/chilli/black pepper to your taste.

2. I make a quiche by mixing 4-6 eggs with around 4oz of cottage cheese and some herbs, fry a sliced onion, then layer the onion, 2-3 sliced tomatoes and 4-6 ounces of sliced cheese in a baking dish and cover with the egg mixture. Bake at 180 for around 30-40 mins, until set. (For variation you can add some seaweed (soak it for a minute first if it's dried) or spinach to the egg mixture or use different vegetables

3. Smoked mackerel pate - mash approximately 150g tub of cottage cheese with 2 smoked mackerel and some black pepper to taste. (2 servings) Serve with sliced tomatoes.

ADD THINGS LIKE:

Have a couple of extra small containers with a couple of teaspoons of hummus or greek yoghurt (3-4 teaspoons of Total full fat) with some fruit. (You can freeze some fruit like rasps/strawbs and just take a little out to add to the yoghurt every day).

A bag of nuts (Dr. Atkins suggests brazil nuts), seeds, or small amounts of fruit, but don't take too many - just a few is enough each day.

Try to give plenty of variety.

Kirsteen
Thu, Sep-29-11, 04:01
P.S. The Atkins products are probably better than a lot of similar items. You might be interested to watch for Jimmy Moore's evaluation/test on them this month.. He'll be testing his blood sugar to see the impact. He's already posted results for some Atkins shakes, and other drinks here:

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moore%E2%80%99s-n1-experiments-atkins-protein-shakes/11363

I thought they were interesting

joanbarto
Thu, Sep-29-11, 15:53
Thank you, freckles, i will try to find him :)

Kirsteen..wow, thank you tons for soo many ideas. The night before he leaves I have the "cookfest"....
I started out making him the turkey burgers, bacon, chicken salad, and "fajita lettuce wraps", sent tons of salad mix and prepare the veggies for easy access....but this is all sooo much work. I remind myself he is worth it :) He also has a small lunchbox cooker so i started buying him salmon, broccoli and asparagus that he can "cook" himself in about 15 minutes.
Love the quiche idea!! He really misses eggs, i make deviled for him, but it is kinda hard to keep in the truck!!

Elizellen
Fri, Sep-30-11, 11:52
i make deviled for him, but it is kinda hard to keep in the truck!!
If you make them up to the stage before filling the whites with the filling and put the filling into a plastic bag and the egg white halves into another container he can assemble them himself just before eating with very little mess.
He just needs to snip a corner off the plastic bag then squeeze dollops of filling into the egg white halves and eat!

I do this when taking devilled eggs to a "bring a plate" function and it only takes a few minutes to lay out the whites on a tray and fill them with the filling.

Kirsteen
Fri, Sep-30-11, 12:10
I guess it's a lot to do at once, but if you make double, then you won't have to do any cooking for yourself :D

You'll find over time that low-carb cooking is quicker than the normal cooking. Low carb vegetables are far quicker to cook, and once you get into the swing of things, you'll be amazed at how great the food is. That stuff I listed above is really fast to throw together.

Does he have a fridge? If so, perhaps it would be easier to make a big pot of curry or stew, with the veggies combined and he can heat up portions himself.

Some of these salads are so easy that he could do them himself. Boil the eggs for him, give him some good mayonnaise, tins of tuna, curry powder/mustard (great to mix into mayo for variation) and some tomatoes.