PDA

View Full Version : How many more calories with exercise?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

momhmschl2
Thu, May-02-02, 19:00
Is there a general rule as to how many more calories you intake with exercise? And can someone explain basal metabolism?

Niky Brady
Thu, May-02-02, 19:19
I'm not sure I've ever heard to increase calories with exercise. I think the basic 10-12x body weight in calories is sufficient. It is the content of those calories that matters. I, personally increased my protein intake to 1g per lb of body wieght. That means I eat about 180g of protein a day. I use protein shakes to help get my protein up that high. Many other people on this website follow that same rule. I think it may depend on what kind of exercise you are doing, also. The Body For Life program is very intense. I need to eat that much protein to keep my muscles from wasting. Maybe Natrushka can help with more and the basal metabolism question. She seems to know everything. :) If she doesn't she'll probably look it up for you.

TeriDoodle
Thu, May-02-02, 20:54
Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the number of calories your body uses to sustain your essential bodily functions throughout a day and night....like breathing, digesting, moving, etc. The higher your lean body mass (the more muscle you have) the more calories will be required to keep your body maintained because fat is inert, muscle requires constant nourishment.

If you exercise rather intently you may find that your appetite increases. I simply give my body what it asks for but no more.... in other words, I may go through phases (like when I first started BFL) where I was much hungrier than usual for a couple of days, so I ate a couple more portions of protein and fat during the day without overdoing it....no pigging out or anything. I think that's they key.... just what it is asking for but no more. And I would rather err on the side of too little rather than too much. I often find that a reasonable high-protein snack and a BIG glass of water will cure my hunger and satisfy my energy needs.

HTH

momhmschl2
Fri, May-03-02, 06:13
I was thinking that was what it probably was, but wanted the opinion of someone out there that had the exact answer. Thanks, you were very hepful.