PDA

View Full Version : Hello, looking for some support.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tinkshrink
Mon, Sep-05-11, 17:42
Hello everyone.

My name is Tina and I'm a 28 year old mama of two beautiful children, 4 years old and 8 months old. I'm also a nursing student, working on my Bachelors in Nursing Science degree, and I work at a local hospital a few times a month. Needless to say, I stay pretty busy.

In addition to my above stated activities I have another...eating! I am currently at my all time high weight of 215lbs and I'm miserable. I've decided to put my faith in a low carb diet as I saw success on it many years ago. At the time I was only on it to support a ex, so I didn't take it very seriously and did not stay on it when we parted ways. But now here I am, so overweight that my 4 year old has pointed out,"Mama, you're fat!" and most recently, "mama you have a big bottom!!" (this was yelled when I took her into a dressing room, where the pants I was trying on ended up being too small despite them being a size 18, I wanted to go home curl up and die.)

Recently we took a family vacation to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands. Most of the trip I was so embarrassed because I knew I was one of the heavier ladies on the beach. I love shopping but refused to go into clothing stores because I didn't want to deal with the embarrassment that they wouldn't have large enough sizes for me. I currently wear a 16/18 depending on the brand. designer labels don't happen to come in those sizes. I knew I was embarrassed and uncomfortable, but somehow I found stuffing my face with rich dishes and desserts most comforting (i have a love affair with pasta, pasta, pasta!). In my head, if i couldn't spend my money on the clothes, i'd spend my money on the food because i somehow deserved it.

When we got home i downloaded the pictures off the camera and was horrified by the pictures. especially the one of me in my two peice bathing suit with my gut hanging between my tank top and shorts. I've had enough. I want to change. I NEED to change my ways! This isn't just about losing wieght anymore but feeling better. I'm always tired, and I don't want to continue setting such a terrible example for my children. I'm hoping to find support here among others with similar goals. I plan to launch head first into this endeavor on 9/9/11. I'm waiting until a friday to start so I won't be at school or work when I go through the sugar/caffine withdrawls I know are coming. Also, this give me the rest of the week to stock up on meals so I have no excuses to fail.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I look forward to getting to know others!

gonwtwindo
Mon, Sep-05-11, 18:11
OK. This is meant to be.

Please join us over at the Ladies' Looking-Good-For-Christmas Challenge.

Not only is it starting on Sept. 9th, but the focus is how we look, especially in front of the camera!!

You sound motivated...keep that motivation going by joining up with us for sharing, support, and accountability!

Here's the link to it: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=432932

tinkshrink
Mon, Sep-05-11, 18:43
This is great! I will absolutly be joining you ladies! Maybe it was meant to be!!

Sue333
Tue, Sep-06-11, 07:30
tinkshrink, hello and welcome! Our starting stats are similar...except I was 10lbs heavier! So much of what you said was my story too...my son was delighted to point out how fat I was (at the top of his lungs...in public...what is it with small children that they'll do that???) and I know just what you mean when you said you wanted to curl up and die. Oh girlfriend, I've been there! But now I'm HERE, committed to paleo eating (my LC of choice) and am now right around 170lbs. The weight is still coming off. I LOVE what I eat, I DON'T miss the carbs AT ALL, and I had a major love affair with pasta too! I do have my slip ups...if you visit the confession booth you'll see where I ate a sandwich...but that's all part of life, and part of the journey. You are going to LOVE it here, and the weight WILL COME OFF! Commit to this 100%. Do it for you, do it for your babies! You will never regret it.

tinkshrink
Tue, Sep-06-11, 14:19
Sue, thank you so much for sharing your story and success with me! It is really inspiring to meet someone who's been there- done that. Congrats on your weight loss so far! I can't wait until I'm in your shoes! Kids say the craziest things, and they are so brutally honest. For me it wasn't my daughter pointing out that I was fat, but it was that she noticed that I was fat. I guess in my head I thought I was doing such a good job of covering it up so that nobody but me would notice.