PDA

View Full Version : How to create a link to a specific post?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wbahn
Wed, May-01-02, 23:24
How can I create a link to a specific post? Not just the page that the post is on, but to the actual post. Now that I can create my Index Page (that's a LOT Wa'il!) I need to be able to do this. I know it can be done, just don't know how.

Thanks.

tamarian
Wed, May-01-02, 23:36
To link to a specific post, use this format:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s&postid=xxxxx#postxxxxx
i.e. forumurl/showthread.php?s=&postid=xxxxx#postxxxxx

To get the post id, you can "hover" over the "report post" link to find out the post id. (look for postid =xxxxxx), where xxx is the number to use in the link.

Not very straight forward, but doable :)

Example http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s&postid=359290#post359290

Wa'il

wbahn
Wed, May-01-02, 23:44
Thanks a lot, Wa'il.

tamarian
Wed, May-01-02, 23:56
Just added a new link "Link to post", that should simplify the process. Simply right click over the link, and select "copy short cut" for IE browsers, or "Copy link address" for Netscape browsers. That should save some typing :)

Wa'il

wbahn
Thu, May-02-02, 00:16
Sure....NOW you tell me. AFTER I just created my Hot Links section. :D j/k of course.

Nice addition - and regardless of how much whining I do was added very quickly.

I actually found that doing it manually wasn't too bad - not for a Hot Links section thanks to Copy and Paste from the link above it. Went very smoothly.

I think a lot of people will find having the ability to edit their journal's first post to be very handy indeed.

LittleAnne
Thu, May-02-02, 04:22
That looks great. Thanks for asking William and thanks for the speedy response Wa'il. I was wondering what the new Link to post was.

tamarian
Thu, May-02-02, 12:40
Just a small change. The link now can be found by "hovering" over the post icon, where it show's the post date.

Wa'il

tofi
Sun, May-26-02, 16:00
Question from not so clever Netscape user: i found the post icon and can hover over it. But where is that "sopy link address" thing that I should click?

Going to go and suck my toes now until I find out. TIA

barB

tamarian
Sun, May-26-02, 16:55
Hi Barb, if you right-click your mouse over it, the option to copy link address should at the bottom of that menu.

Wa'il

tofi
Mon, May-27-02, 07:04
Thank you Wa'il. I am a Macintosh user and can't "right click". So for me it was "click & hold" and the menu appears. Thanks very much - I thought I was just missing the icon somewhere on the page, but you led me to it

BarB