PDA

View Full Version : Moderate fat Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

daisyboo
Fri, Aug-26-11, 10:28
Has anyone tried and had success with a moderate fat intake whilst following Atkins. The reason I'm asking is because I've put a lot of weight on over this year after maintaining a good loss for several years. I had been following lower fat eating as my gallbladder grumbles when I eat higher fat, or at least that is how it seems to me.

I don't want to get to the point where I need surgery but I really want to come back to lowcarbing properly as a WOL as it made me feel better on many levels, it is also a great way of eating for my hubby and something we are actually ready to commit to together for health and fitness.

I have been following a low fat plan but same old problem, hungry all the time and setting myself up for failure.

Any thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated, thanks :)

WereBear
Fri, Aug-26-11, 11:43
Maybe it's not the fat? It can be grains or dairy? How have you been eating that put the weight back on?

daisyboo
Fri, Aug-26-11, 12:00
I was eating moderate fat whilst off Atkins due to gallbladder issue, I was on weightwatchers for a while so much lower fat but hungry all the time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of having less added fat but still losing.

krystalr
Fri, Aug-26-11, 13:16
Have you had your gallbladder checked? Is it stones, or function if you have?

Asking because I was having a heck of a time while I was having my gallbladder issues. Turned out after having a HIDA Scan, that it stopped functioning all together, and was nice and infected. It came out shortly after that. I've been 100% fine since. When I was having the episodes (it got really bad for about 2 months) I couldn't eat anything really - it all made me sick.

That all said, low fat diets are generally what kick up gallbladder issues, so I'd stay away from going that route for sure.

Back to your original question, it really depends what your idea of moderate fat is. If you're looking at it from a macro perspective, something has to give if your fat is down - you're either higher on protein, or higher on carbs. If you go higher protein and keep your carbs low, you'll probably be fine. If you go the other way...you might still lose, but you're probably really going to have to lower your overall calories to compensate for the added carbs...and even then, you may not lose.

I'd look at addressing the gallbladder issue and figure out what's going on there, but that's just me. :)

daisyboo
Sat, Aug-27-11, 05:46
Gallbladder has been checked, when I started getting attacks I had a stone stuck by the billuary(sp) tract but it dissolved before surgery date.

I do believe alernating between low fat/high fat has screwed my gallbladder up, it's like it stops working on lowfat then can't cope if I eat any other way.

I am hoping if I restart Atkins and don't actually add lots of extra fat to food I might get away with it and ease it into working harder again.

WereBear
Sat, Aug-27-11, 06:04
There's some evidence that "gallbladder problems," especially puzzling ones such as yours, really point to liver toxicity issues. Have you had a liver enzymes test done?

It can be things we don't think about, or think are "healthy" when they are not. For instance, my mother took Tylenol pretty indiscriminately, thinking it was safer than other pain relievers, until a new doctor pointed out it was putting a strain on her liver. Likewise, a high fructose load is now known to strain the liver; even though we are told fruit juice and whole grains (often sweetened with high fructose corn syrup) are healthy foods to eat, and are staples of low fat eating plans.

I suspect you are right; it's the transition that is causing the problems. The Perfect Health Diet:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8

might be just the thing for you; it's not "extreme" and focuses on healing such metabolic and systemic problems.

daisyboo
Wed, Aug-31-11, 14:49
Thanks for replies. I'm going to start at rung one (planned when I return from trip) but not add copious amounts of fat and gradually do it to see how I feel.

Wish me luck!