PDA

View Full Version : Subway sandwiches as Salads

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chogreshi
Mon, Aug-22-11, 23:05
So I was wondering. If you were to get a Subways sandwich as a salad would it be a bad choice? Or is at least some of their choices decent on a low carb diet?

MsGinger
Tue, Aug-23-11, 05:35
I do this often for lunch while I'm at work. It's been fine for me. I like that I can pick and choose what I want (and how much) stuff to make my salad.
I usually get the roast beef or grilled chicken and they add cucumbers, some slices of black olives, banana peppers, spinache, shredded cheese, bacon, and as for the dressing, usually v&o or I keep my own LC dressing at work.
I haven't had any problems (outside of the temptation of their flat bread). That used to be my weakness, but it's been much easier knowing ahead of time what I'm getting.
I think it's at least worth trying.

zoiper
Tue, Aug-23-11, 06:55
I do this a couple times a week since subway is across the street from work. Tuna salad, veggies, ranch dressing and an order of bacon. Hasn't affected me negatively at all. They do put LOTS of veggies, so if you are really counting carbs you would have to stay within your limit for the day. The salad is the only option at subway for us low-carb folks I'm afraid!

ScareBuff
Tue, Aug-23-11, 07:08
I do this regularly. My go to is the Oven Roasted Chicken salad. You need to be careful though, because Subway's meat's are HIGHLY processed.

For example, the salad I get (chicken, lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, red onion, and olives and a dash of Southwest Chipotle sauce) has, according to Subway, 15g of carbs. You'd think this would be from the sauce, right? Nope. the tablespoon or so of sauce adds less than 2g.

So, while better than a Whopper, certain options at Subway are not as low carb as you might think. :)

chogreshi
Tue, Aug-23-11, 09:56
Thanks all for the replies :D Think I might give it a try today at work. Tuna one sounds good :)

krystalr
Tue, Aug-23-11, 10:48
It's good as an option when you don't have much else to have...but just be weary as another member said of the carbs. Since their meats are heavily processed, all sorts of fillers are added to bulk them out and give them flavor. This is true of many deli meats, but even more so from "fast food" type places.

ScareBuff
Tue, Aug-23-11, 11:20
...but just be weary as another member said of the carbs.

After all of these years...I have been reduced to simply "another member"...

*SNIFF!* :tears:

hayes
Tue, Aug-23-11, 11:45
On their website you can look at the nutritional value of even the salads. Some are around 10 carbs. Some are more. The only thing I didn't like about them is there was WAY to much lettuce and not enough meat and cheese (at least the one I had was). I had the steak and cheese (15 carbs). It was a huge salad though and it was good.

GeeWee
Tue, Aug-23-11, 13:13
I had a buffalo chicken salad today and it was fantastic! I brought it back to the office and used my own lc dressing. I couldn't find any nutrition information just for the chicken, but what I like about it is that it's REAL chicken, as opposed to crappy fake grilled chicken or lunch meat, and I have a thing for buffalo sauce anyway. The web site "salad builder" nutrition section tells me that, without their dressing, the salad had 11 carbs with 4 g sugar and 4 g fiber.

It was really, really good. Definitely not something I'll do everyday, but a nice alternative for the next time I'm too lazy to bring my lunch :)

Elizellen
Tue, Aug-23-11, 15:10
In case anyone hasn't found the nutrition numbers here is their pdf

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/NutritionValues.pdf

I notice they list the info for the bread, condiments and meats separately as well as included in the sandwiches, so you could work out numbers if you decided to get a sub and just not eat the bread.

scthgharpy
Wed, Aug-24-11, 10:57
Not sure about subway per se, but I do know that eating deli meats like they offer made my BS numbers go through the roof. REGARDLESS of what they SAY is in it. I would be really careful.