PDA

View Full Version : Following the Dukan Diet and having a lot of success

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dearmomof3
Mon, Aug-15-11, 14:27
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself and tell you how successful I have been so far on the Dukan Diet. I bought the book after reading about the diet somewhere in a magazine. I read through the whole book before I committed to starting the diet because I knew it would be such a different lifestyle for me. I compared it to when I stopped smoking. It was only when I was at the point that I was really ready that I knew I would be able to do it and stick with it.

I started the DD on May 3rd and have lost 34 lbs so far. My goal is 50 and I am hoping to keep up my 10 lb loss a month so I can move into phase 3 in October. Once I completed the attack phase and lost about 8 lbs, I no longer had cravings for real sweets or alcohol. The loss of cravings has been a huge help in sticking with this diet. I use Splenda on my non-fat greek yogurt and in my oat bran pancake so I still have the sweetness without the sugar.

The hardest thing for me has been giving up alcohol. Although not a heavy drinker, I am a social drinker and my job requires me to socialize several times a month. The first day of vacation was difficult too. Everyone is excited to be together and celebrating. It felt very strange and I did morne a bit for it. Once I got over the strangeness of getting a diet coke instead of a glass of red wine, I was fine. Just another adjustment.

I have been walking daily and recently started added a couple of days of Zumba and Aerobics in to mix things up. I've also started to take my dog for jogs so she encourages me to keep a good pace (and sometimes drags me up my hill when I'm done). In additon to the encouragement from my dog, my family has been incredibly supportive. What I usually do for meals is to make the full meal for my husband and kids and I will just have the meat and non-fat cottage cheese or a large salad with a protien. One more thing to get used to but I ended up getting pretty creative and my family doesn't suffer for it.

For anyone thinking of starting this diet I would encourage you to read through the entire book and make sure you are very ready to make those changes. This is an all or nothing diet that you cannot cheat on. Stick with the phases and you will realize that having a little cookie or glass of wine will be that celabratory snack you can have in phase 3! It will all be worth it in the end.

mainecyn
Mon, Aug-15-11, 15:06
Wow, congratulations on your success and hard work paying off for sure! I dabbled with this after reading the book but just couldn't make the commitment to the entire lowfat.

vess
Mon, Aug-15-11, 15:18
I have also followed this diet last year for over a month, but once I fell off the wagon, could not go back to it. Although I found hundreds of recipes, the restriction on fat and some meats made it too monotonous and I was never able to stick to it after my initial attempt.
I have to say that I truly believe it works though, as I had great results and know other people who achieved similar results to yours and for this - congratulations! It is good to see that you are commited to going through the other phases too and not consider it a diet only, this should help you maintain the weight and get into healthier eating habits.
Last but not least - very very well done with giving up alcohol, I am struggling with this one big time as I used to drink on a daily basis, but am now having prolonged dry spells of week or two and am hoping to permanently exclude the alcohol.