PDA

View Full Version : Two for One

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

niko24601
Wed, Jul-20-11, 13:50
Hello~ My name is Niko. I lost 60 pounds on Atkins back in 2009 and I've maintained my weight since then. Now I'm trying to get my mother into a healthy weight.

My mom will not weigh herself and does not want to be told how much she weighs by her doctors who have agreed to keep the number to themselves. She's 49, 5'5" and in a pant size 16/14 right now, though. I've had her on Induction/Veggie Rung for over a month now, keeping her away from going past a 20/25 carb allotment since nuts have been an issue and with a fractured spine she can't really work out. I ask for accounts of her meals during the week, try to make most of her meals for her, and have a pretty strict policy on what is an okay Atkin brand snack/shake regardless of whether or not it's supposedly okay for all phases.

She's not losing as much weight as I would have expected by now. Her doctor's appointment which was after her two week induction period reported only a 5lb loss. On top of the fractured back, she also had her thyroid removed and is on synthroid. Anyone here have similar issues? I'm assuming her slow weight loss is due to the missing thyroid more than her diet but I don't want to not do something I can for her.

She loves her ketosis strips and reports to me every day now dark they are (to which my response is always "Great! Are you drinking your water?"). As for me, my ketosis strips are never very dark unless I kill myself in yoga or on the treadmill. With 20lbs or so left, induction just isn't working for me but I don't want to leave my Mom behind me for fear she'll adopt my eating for herself prematurely. As it is I'm gaining weight but I'm attributing it mostly to muscle gain through my yoga practice and an unfortunate run in with an absolutely to die for Atkins acceptable mocha frappachino recipe that was over 1000 calories per serving. Curse you, heavy whipping cream!! I'm revising it for almond milk now but I stall on nuts so I pay for my occasional indulgence.

My mom won't post here but I definitely need help in trying to make a meal plan that works for her body and lifestyle. I could always use some inspiration too. Thanks <3

~Niko

Elizellen
Thu, Jul-21-11, 06:25
Hi Niko! :wave:
Welcome to the board.

I really admire you doing what you are doing for your Mum :thup:

Has she set herself a goal pants size? It might be a great way for her to judge her progress as she is not looking at scales. And having measurements to compare with later are a great way to se this is working. :agree:

As for her slow weightloss, from what I have read, people with thyroid problems can have a hard time losing weight, particularly at the start of their lowcarb journey, but many members here have managed to get to their goal weight despite it.

I think I have read that eating lowcarb can also help improve people's thyroid issues.