PDA

View Full Version : So Sick, and desperate for encouragement

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Trixie26
Thu, Jul-07-11, 14:50
I started Atkins on July 4th ... So Im on day 4.. On day 2 and 3 I had a massive headache right when I woke up. Now on day 4 I didnt have the headache but I have a stomache ache and my energy level is so low. I'm 26 years old and Im pretty active and usually have a lot of energy to complete tasks. Im trying to clean and I keep getting so tired I have to sit down. My hands are shaky and Im very very irritable. I've been reading online about how people feel in the induction phase.. and for some reason I'm feeling the side effects really bad. I also read increasing my sodium intake may help but I just have no appetite to even eat. Please help me!! I really want to lose 40 lbs and I've watched my mom lose 30 lbs in 7 weeks on atkins so I know it works.. I just need to get through a few more days of this .. right??? :q:

TChice
Thu, Jul-07-11, 15:04
This is called "induction flu" it happens to most of us. I had it horribly for 3-4 days. Drink a lot of water, take it easy, and ride it out. You should notice an energy bump in the next 1-3 days.

Your body is going through carb withdrawal. Right now it is looking for the carbs it's used to burning as "easy energy" - but they aren't there. So your body is processing it's fat stores and using them as ketones. The original switch over can cause flu-like symptoms.

Trixie26
Thu, Jul-07-11, 15:18
Thanks Tchice!! I can sure as heck tough it out as long as I know it will get better!! Im on day 4 so hopefully I'll get that energy bump your talking about soonish! In the mean time I'll drink more water and leave the cleaning for another day ;-) Congrats on your 35 lbs!!

Dannie
Thu, Jul-07-11, 15:34
Hang in there, I'm a newbie too. If you ever want a buddy to email with, let me know! We are same age and close-ish enough in weight. You can do this, keep your mind on your goal :)

lovemypets
Thu, Jul-07-11, 15:42
Hi there :wave:

AtkinsInsp
Thu, Jul-07-11, 16:03
Hi Trixie26. I never had the Induction Flu, but I didn't eat a lot of sugar prior to starting Atkins. I've read that this "sickness" can be caused my just craving sugars. To me, eating a lot of the foundation vegetables helped a lot with the cravings. I've lost 20lbs so far. Good luck to you.

Trixie26
Thu, Jul-07-11, 17:08
Thanks a lot everyone for the support!!! It's surprisingly encouraging to know all these other people are going thru the same things to get to the same goals :-) Thanks again all!!

TChice
Thu, Jul-07-11, 19:17
No problem! This forum and it's members are a wealth of information and inspiration. There is a great recipes section that will come in handy soon!

Welcome to LC. Keeping a journal is a great way to keep tabs on your food triggers, emotional changes, etc. It's also a good source of free therapy! I highly recommend it.

tommiec68
Thu, Jul-07-11, 19:33
Hang in there Trixie, it will get better. Welcome to the forum.

Tammie

heirloom10
Thu, Jul-07-11, 21:43
I think some salty broth would help. I don't remember the exact reason why.