PDA

View Full Version : Hey ^^

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lyddy
Sun, Jun-19-11, 07:06
Heyah-

I'm 18 and in November I was diagnosed with PCOS - I'd been on low carb several times and lost substantial weight. However- it always managed to creep back up. Prior to going to the doctor about the weight gain and lack of monthly periods - I gained 40 pounds in a few months (?!?!) While I readily admit that I over eat at times - I don't sit around binging on carbs or junk food. I am fairly inactive - but am working to change that.

My doctor put me on metformin in March - since then I've suffered with horrible nausea and diarrhea. It's been a struggle to adjust how I eat - most of the time I eat fairly well - "healthy". However, I admit that sometimes its confusing what IS healthy. I read one thing on one site - and another on another. However , my doctor told me low GI/low carb, so that is what I'm trying :)

Losing weight has always been a struggle for me - typically losing weight FAR slower than my mother even if we ate identical meals. My mom had a stroke in February - and we've been trying low carb off and on since then.

My starting weight is the highest I've ever been at 222 O_O And my lowest in recent months has been 217. I bounce around a lot - and it gets rather discouraging. However - I do know that I'm losing inches at least because my clothes are fitting better.

Anyway! Just a brief introduction ^^

Lyddy

teresaw
Sun, Jun-19-11, 07:22
Hi, welcome to the site. Now, all I can say is READ everything you can about low carb/ Atkins way of eating because its going to knock your socks off... read and learn... and you will lose weight and be beautiful and healthy and in a few weeks you will be a different person. Trust me! but trust the way of eating more......

ncrn122
Sun, Jun-19-11, 08:06
Heyah-

I'm 18 and in November I was diagnosed with PCOS - I'd been on low carb several times and lost substantial weight. However- it always managed to creep back up. Prior to going to the doctor about the weight gain and lack of monthly periods - I gained 40 pounds in a few months (?!?!) While I readily admit that I over eat at times - I don't sit around binging on carbs or junk food. I am fairly inactive - but am working to change that.

My doctor put me on metformin in March - since then I've suffered with horrible nausea and diarrhea. It's been a struggle to adjust how I eat - most of the time I eat fairly well - "healthy". However, I admit that sometimes its confusing what IS healthy. I read one thing on one site - and another on another. However , my doctor told me low GI/low carb, so that is what I'm trying :)

Losing weight has always been a struggle for me - typically losing weight FAR slower than my mother even if we ate identical meals. My mom had a stroke in February - and we've been trying low carb off and on since then. My starting weight is the highest I've ever been at 222 O_O And my lowest in recent months has been 217. I bounce around a lot - and it gets rather discouraging. However - I do know that I'm losing inches at least because my clothes are fitting better.

Anyway! Just a brief introduction ^^

Lyddy

Lyddy, read your post and see if your answer doesn't pop out at you. "Trying" and "off and on" won't get you where you want to go. A low carb diet is the accepted treatment for PCOS. Along with metformin. Having the condition will make it harder to lose than your mother, even if it doesn't seem fair. I'm sorry you are having side effects from the med. Give it a good effort though. Maybe the doctor will try a lower dose, and increase as you tolerate it.
The hard part may be admitting that this a new way of life...not a "diet" that you go off of when you want to. That would not help your condition. Good luck!!!

freckles
Sun, Jun-19-11, 11:24
Welcome!

I could not have said this any better:

The hard part may be admitting that this a new way of life...not a "diet" that you go off of when you want to. That would not help your condition.

Low carb is not just a way of eating for you, it is medicine to you. It is for me too. Once I got that into my head it became much easier for me to stick with it. Fortunately the wonderful side affect is that I lost weight. ;) You will too!

chysmith
Sun, Jun-19-11, 12:18
Welcome Lyddy! :wave:

Low carb is not just a way of eating for you, it is medicine to you. It is for me too. Once I got that into my head it became much easier for me to stick with it. Fortunately the wonderful side affect is that I lost weight. ;) You will too!

Great way to put it! :agree: I will definitely have to remember that and keep it as my mantra!

Lyddy
Thu, Jun-23-11, 08:53
Teresaw - I've done a good bit of reading about PCOS and low carb. I basically was told by my doctor that I had to eat this way if I wanted to lose weight and get healthier. As soon as I found out what I had - I spent a lot of time reading about it. At first I thought it was kind of depressing - but then I realized "Here's my chance - now I know what's wrong- and I have to do it this way.".

NCRN - I know that trying and on and off are not words that are associated with sucess. I meant that prior to my diagnosis with PCOS I had tried low carb . Keep in mind I started dieting when I was 14 - maturity level definitely helps. At 18 - now empowered with the doctors recommendation - I won't fail. I know this is how I have to eat - and I know why my body is doing what its doing (namely losing weight slowly). And I find that oddly encouraging even though the numbers on the scale go down slowly. I can tell its working already - several of my favorite outfits are getting to large.

Freckles and Chysmith - That's exactly how I'm looking at it now ^^ I can still enjoy my food - I just have to make sure I enjoy the proper foods. I read the Zone diet to better understand what foods effect on the body was - he explained it like food was a medicine. Which I found very helpful :) However - he is not as low carb as I need to be.