PDA

View Full Version : cheat days? ya or na?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

the_gould
Mon, Jun-13-11, 15:14
What are you thoughts on a "cheat day" or a day to boost the metabolism? or trick it??

RobinDBois
Fri, Jun-24-11, 22:01
I give myself the right to one (1) day per seven days (7); legal ^^

SlimJen
Fri, Jun-24-11, 22:11
Havent cheated once, started in 2008.
I know that if I cheat, ill do it again and again and lose all what ive done.
Clothes are way better than chocolate bars in my opinion.

mabdab01
Sat, Jun-25-11, 14:10
Cheat days are too dangerous for me. I am truly addicted to carbs and cannot stop with just a meal, or a day. Not to mention how horrible I feel (physically) after a cheat day. I have not cheated once since starting again on May 1, 2011. There have been a few days when I allowed myself a few additional carbs from berries, but that is about it. I can't cheat, as I am only cheating myself and my health. Just my opinion. :)

the_gould
Sat, Jun-25-11, 14:16
Cheat days are too dangerous for me. I am truly addicted to carbs and cannot stop with just a meal, or a day. Not to mention how horrible I feel (physically) after a cheat day. I have not cheated once since starting again on May 1, 2011. There have been a few days when I allowed myself a few additional carbs from berries, but that is about it. I can't cheat, as I am only cheating myself and my health. Just my opinion. :)

i notice all in there is a problem with self control but take that out of the equation. say you know that one treat will only mean one and that you wont do more. Do you feel that it is beneficial to do a cheat day? do you think your body really does need it. Even like a increase of calories or carbs one or the other . ?

kaylakala
Sat, Jun-25-11, 15:32
Once every few months. Chinese food buffet no desserts.

Oh and my 1 year anniversary next month. Supposed to eat the top of the wedding cake. :)

the_gould
Sat, Jun-25-11, 16:02
Once every few months. Chinese food buffet no desserts.

Oh and my 1 year anniversary next month. Supposed to eat the top of the wedding cake. :)

i keep my cake day for either my b day or X mas or new year- these are the only days i dont think on what i will eat. i dont go over board just things i would not normally eat - i still feel guilty as hell and thats good because it stops me going too far.

love my chinese every now and then when i have had a good loss or maintained

Idealist77
Thu, Jul-07-11, 08:06
If you can cheat and get right back on LC then I think it would be good, but in my experience whenever I cheat I have a REALLY hard time going back to LC.

the_gould
Thu, Jul-07-11, 08:31
If you can cheat and get right back on LC then I think it would be good, but in my experience whenever I cheat I have a REALLY hard time going back to LC.

i never have the prob of not goingback on it. i always fel too guilty and even my cheat day i still have really good choices i just maybe eat a little more cals

shannone10
Thu, Jul-07-11, 17:26
Have you found that "cheating" has helped you with stalls?

I don't think I'm a "carb addict". ("Not that there's anything wrong with it" as Jerry Seinfeld used to say!). From September to April I was on a low fat "healthy" diet. I lost around sixteen pounds. It was just miserable. I felt guilty about eating anything! In mid/late April I switched to LC. And I've lost around 16 pounds in that time. I feel so much better. And I love this WOE so much that I haven't strayed much at all. I know from reading your other posts that you are very close to your goal weight and things are slowing down. Same here. I've never really tried this "switching up" thing. Do you actually get a bump from it?

TIA! I have found your success to be very inspiring!

the_gould
Thu, Jul-07-11, 23:17
Have you found that "cheating" has helped you with stalls?

I don't think I'm a "carb addict". ("Not that there's anything wrong with it" as Jerry Seinfeld used to say!). From September to April I was on a low fat "healthy" diet. I lost around sixteen pounds. It was just miserable. I felt guilty about eating anything! In mid/late April I switched to LC. And I've lost around 16 pounds in that time. I feel so much better. And I love this WOE so much that I haven't strayed much at all. I know from reading your other posts that you are very close to your goal weight and things are slowing down. Same here. I've never really tried this "switching up" thing. Do you actually get a bump from it?

TIA! I have found your success to be very inspiring!

thank you

i think it really does help every few weeks or so having a little more to eat diffrent cals and higher cals. i seen days where i had a treat and the next weigh in i lost alot more i know its weird but it works. try it even a day with one treat meal .

let me know how you find it

to day is my treat day going to T in the park a festival over here

Leizal
Fri, Jul-08-11, 03:07
I think I'm only able to allow myself cheats on specific 'days'; birthday, Christmas, a holiday, a trip out. It would have to be different to normal days otherwise I think my body would expect it. For instance, I went off low-carb for four days at a festival, got back, and went right back to LC with no issues. But, if I was to sit here in my living room now and decide to have a cheat day, every day I was sat in my living room would feel okay to cheat :S

kazLaJauna
Fri, Jul-08-11, 13:41
If I cheat it takes me a week to get back down to the lowest weight I was before the cheat...example
Cheat day weigh-in:269
Next day:270, back on low carb eating...
Day 2: 274
Day 3: 272
Day 4:272
Day 5: 272
Day 6: 271
Day 7: 270

It is not worth losing a week of my time to get back where I was. I feel like I am spinning my wheels and always wondering where I would have been if I had just stayed the course.

the_gould
Sat, Jul-09-11, 20:29
If I cheat it takes me a week to get back down to the lowest weight I was before the cheat...example
Cheat day weigh-in:269
Next day:270, back on low carb eating...
Day 2: 274
Day 3: 272
Day 4:272
Day 5: 272
Day 6: 271
Day 7: 270

It is not worth losing a week of my time to get back where I was. I feel like I am spinning my wheels and always wondering where I would have been if I had just stayed the course.

what do you consume on cheat days? amounts and type?

kazLaJauna
Sun, Jul-10-11, 22:09
what do you consume on cheat days? amounts and type?

Usually sweets and chips. My family gets together to play games/cards every Saturday. They all eat junk and have it sitting on every table top. It is extremely hard for me to resist, but I am working on it. I try to have healthy choices prepared in advance, but I have this "bratty kid" in my brain who throws temper tantrums when I am abstaining.

the_gould
Mon, Jul-11-11, 06:49
see when i have a treat i still stay away from sugar and mostly carbs - i do not binge - i have a treat meal and will maybe drink Sugar free fizzy juice. I keep my sugar sweets/candys and cake for either my birthday or Christmas

kazLaJauna
Tue, Jul-12-11, 18:41
see when i have a treat i still stay away from sugar and mostly carbs - i do not binge - i have a treat meal and will maybe drink Sugar free fizzy juice. I keep my sugar sweets/candys and cake for either my birthday or Christmas

Your humility is showing....I was sharing why I can not cheat. I have an addictive personality. I am a carb addict. I cannot have one bite without throwing myself under the bus. I am happy that you are able to go off and on plan with free abandon within reason. There is NO REASON for me.