PDA

View Full Version : Back to Basics

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jacquihay
Sat, May-28-11, 05:57
Hi all

This is my second visit to this way of life. Back in 2004 I bought the DANDR book and was successful in loosing weight. However, I soon drifted back into 'normal' eating and the weight returned, along with its friends.

I have recently had health issues, and am due for a colonoscope investigation in 2 weeks time. I suffer from severe pain in the morning, sometimes it wakes me through the night and it will only pass once I have emptied my bowels (sorry for being so graphic). The doctors suspect colitis, but I think and hope it is more IBS. I also have suspected arthritis in my spine and have just had an MRI to investigate this.

So here I am again. Determined that weight loss will help my joints at least, and the change of diet might improve my digestive system.

I started, albeit not strickly last weekend. I say not strickly as I had an occasional glass of wine, a rum and coke and felt obliged to have some cake last Tuesday as it was my daughters 21st birthday. Since Wednesday however I have tried really hard to keep the regime. Currently I am still following the old DANDR book as amazon appear to have lost the updated new version I have ordered.

I weighed myself on Thursday, no change, but there again I hadnt really been following the diet so the 3 days didnt count. I also tested for ketosis - negative.

Friday however was a different story, ketosis was a cherry red. :) I am drinking plenty of water which I did struggle with at first but it is becoming easier. We also went out as a family as a belated birthday meal for my daughter to the local italian. Pizzas all round, except for me I had chicken with Prawns in a cream and pesto sauce. I asked about their seasonsal veggies but decided to play safe and opted for buttered spinach. I was a little concerned that I might have had some hidden carbs in their and would be back to square one, however I retested for ketosis this morning and hey presto, still a full blush cherry pinky purple. Not dared try the scales yet.

So this is the start of my new journey. I hope to keep it up as I think the benefits will help my condition, weight loss and digestive wise. I have the procedure in 2 weeks time and have to fast and take fairly strong laxatives to clear me out. Boy I am not looking forward to that!

In the meantime I hope to get to know you all on here and will try to keep my progress updated and will look for support here

Jacqui

teresaw
Sat, May-28-11, 06:13
Hi there and welcome. I think we're all here for the same thing, to be healthy, look good and have a bit of company doing it... Good luck for your impending procedure, and try and look on the bright side.... think of the weight loss after the laxatives. :lol:

jacquihay
Mon, May-30-11, 03:58
Just an update, yes I know this is gross, but I think I am noticing a difference already. The morning back pain isnt as intense as it was. Like most others at the start of induction my toilet habits have changed too - instead of 4 times a day it appears to be once every other day, but without my tummy feeling heavy. Also (stop reading now if you are sensitive!) my motions have gone back to what would be deemed as 'normal' for the first time in about 10 months.

AnniMin
Mon, May-30-11, 05:24
Welcome Jacqui! Lots of us on this forum have solved our digestive issues by eating low carb. If you stick with this WOE you will, too. :agree:

jacquihay
Wed, Jun-01-11, 23:23
Ive lost 7lbs after the first week. Very pleased

teresaw
Fri, Jun-03-11, 08:54
I'm still getting used to the feeling of "lightness" AfTER eating a meal. The bloat is never there... I don't have the extra oil and cream that this diet allows/specifies because I don't feel the need for it, maybe its because I have had my gallbladder removed, so fats are a bit of a problem for me.... but I'm never hungry, snacks are always to be had, a little nibble of cheese and I'm set for a few hours. No counting calories, just cutting out a food group, is soo easy to do. There is soo much more to eat. I did Stilman years ago and that really works, but its not a lifestyle.... this is!
p.s. the bathroom thing.... I take a small herbal tablet every other day...gentle, works like a dream.

jacquihay
Sat, Jun-04-11, 06:41
Thanks Teresaw
I am finding it easy to stick to this time around, especially as my daughters are fairly grown up so currently only catering for me and my OH.

Whats Stilman's? never heard of that one.

The bathroom thing, I'm going to have to take that one a day at a time I think and listen to my body. Im not going to do anything drastic by helping things moving until after my procedure next week. I did try and take only on ducolax pearl (minimum dose), but it played havoc with me, so I best leave things to nature in future.

jacquihay
Tue, Jun-07-11, 01:55
I think I am going to have to take a closer look at what I am eating. The Ketostix have gone negative. I think the culprit might be the farm shop sausages I bought at the weekend. Last time I could eat them, but I am sure they have changed their receipe, So will have to visit the supermarket on the way home to stock up on some Low Carb safe variety which I can see the nutritional value on. I really cant think of anythink else which would have done this.

teresaw
Tue, Jun-07-11, 07:13
Make your own, or meatballs, everyone likes meatballs and then you'll know whats in them... the ones you bought were probably full of cereal!

jacquihay
Tue, Jun-07-11, 09:33
I think it might have been a temporary blip. My Metalic taste is back. Ive been drinking loads today and have cut back my carbs to minimum to speed things back in the right direction.

jacquihay
Wed, Jun-08-11, 13:06
Hi all

The sticks were pink again this morning. Just weighed in and lost another 4lb so considering the bad week with the suspect sausages and potential TOM, not done too badly. Will be interesting to see what happens over then next 2 days or so as I have a colonoscopy booked for Friday afternoon. I am allowed breakfast tomorrow and a light lunch, after that nothing until Friday evening after the procedure. Only the meds and liquid allowed.

jacquihay
Tue, Jun-14-11, 03:01
Hi

I am on week 3 but appear to really be loosing anything now. I dont think I have eaten anything wrong, I am think I am still in ketosis, but will check this morning. Could I not be eating enough Carbs or Fat?

My daily menu normally consists of:

Breakfast – Coffee, Two gluten free sausages from Asda and an egg (all cooked on a George Foreman grill as I hate food cooked in oil and greasy).

Cup of Tea when I get to work, the rest of the day I dring Water, normally have about 5 16oz glasses spread throughout the day, when at home this is sparkling water with a twist of lemon.

Lunch normally salad with either Beef, ham or salmon . I have about a cup of salad, and nearly always have a large dollop (1tblsp) of Hellmans full fat.

Supper, usually protein again either chicken, salmon, fresh tuna, steak or lamb with either salad or vegetables (French Beans, Kale or spinach). I have about 1 cup to 1/2 cup. And another dollop of mayo.

I dont snack, as I never have and dont find the need to graze constantly. I havent had anything sweet apart from an occasional (never more than one a day) Russell Stover Toffee square which I was lucky enough to find on the internet as I remember enjoying them last time on this diet. I dont have one every day either, maybe only 2 or 3 in a week.

I am aware I might have a problem with candida as I have had some recent stomach/digestive problems for which I have been seeing a consultant and had a colonoscopy at the end of last week. I am taking one psyllium husk a day to get extra fibre into me, one apple cidar vinegar tablet (double strength) and one oregano oil capsule. These supplements I have only started this week following my procedure.

Am I doing anything wrong?

jacquihay
Sun, Jun-26-11, 04:30
Hi all, another check in. Havent posted as often as I would have intended, and have stayed off the scales. I have also been naughty.

For those of you not new to Atkins, and did it many years ago (7 in my case). One one forum we discovered the delights of treats you can have. Thorntons diabetic chocolate for one, and russel stover candy which asda used to sell for another. The effects of the two mentioned are of cause, polybely - trapped wind and gurgling tums. You darent really over do it as the effects would be greater familiarality with the old porcelein.

Well I found a little Thorntons shop last week close to where I now work and went in to buy myself a little pick me up. Low and behold the bars I wanted were on special offer as there was a batch about to go out of date.

And so Polybelly began.

I have also slipped a little with the alchol. I havent had any for 3 weeks, and went to my eldest daughters Art exhibition. They were handing out drinks, all of which were full sugar, with the exception of the wine, so I had a glass of dry white. Two sips later and it went straight to my head.

So that was the start of the slippery slope. Food wise I have been sticking religiously to the formula I know works for me. I have also discovered Coke Zero. I have never been able to drink diet sodas, as all I can taste is Saccherine. However the Zero one is diffferent and palateable.

Well to sum up, not a good week, I know I have been bad having an occasional drink (one glass of red and have also slipped a noggin of rum into the Coke Zero), so I wasnt expecting any shift on the scales this morning. In fact I would go as far as to say it wouldnt have surprised me if I had gained a pound or two.

I must admit a friend at work did ask if I had lost weight but I thought she was just being kind. My jeans are loose two, as are my suit skirts, which I have had to wear recently for job interviews.

So to get to the point, I weighed myself and have lost 5lbs this week, making a total of 19lbs in one month. I am so pleased and want it to continue. I promise to be good (or will try!)

Just to add, I am taking daily supplements - Double strength Apple Cidar Vinegar tablets, High strength Coconut capsules, Oregano oil capsule and Psyllium husk. Im sure they have helped.

I tested a couple of days ago to check on my Candida levels which a month ago showed to be out of control, and these are now as they should be so the diet is working in that respect too.