PDA

View Full Version : New - 5 weeks

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lpsllbpjl
Thu, May-26-11, 10:57
Hello,

I am new to the Atkins low carb. I have tried every diet in the book and wanted to find something that would allow me to eat but show me the proper way also.

I have been on Adtkins for 5 weeks and have lost 12 pounds. I have seemed to still the last 2 weeks.

I am keeping my carbs under 20 grams a day. My schedule does not allow me to excersize every day but I try to get in 30 min. on the treadmil at least 3 times a week.

I am getting support from my husband who is doing this with me and he has lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks (I am not comparing myself to him).

I go in and out of Ketosis. I will put what my usual day consists of and maybe someone can help tweek things for me to help me start losing.

Keep in mind I do have hypothyroid and take medication for this. I also took Dr. Atkins advise and started L-Carnatine.

Yesterday- Breakfast: Coffee with cream - 4 carbs/ tea w/spenda 2 carbs/ 2 chicken breasts grilled/ Lunch: Grilled Chicken Salad with Ceasar Dressing 9 carbs/afternoon: tea w/splenda 2 carbs/ Dinner: Chicken salad w/mayo and a low carb herb totilla 4 carbs.

I could use some help to get my body to start losing weight again.

Look forward to hearing from someone.

lpsllbpjl

ShaneInMN
Thu, May-26-11, 11:08
Hi there and welcome!

Are you sure that you're going out of Ketosis? 20 or less carbs on any given day should keep you in ketosis. You have a lot of wiggle room from there, from what I've read, to remain in ketosis.

One thing that I do see, and sorry but I am not on the Atkins plan but I have studied it some. Those tortillas may be contributing to any potential stall. I believe tortillas would be considered a grain product and are the final rung during OWL (ongoing weight loss) phase.

The best advice that I can give, if you had a clean induction phase, is to drop back to OWL 1st rung, and try that for a week and see how your weight goes, then go from there. Just remember, keep the progress slow, OWL is where you identify your carb count while still losing weight, and also identify foods that cause weight stalls or gains. It's all a learning curve for us! We're all unique when it comes to our diets.

Best of luck, and there are plenty of people here on Atkins who I'm sure will be able to offer better assistance!

lpsllbpjl
Tue, May-31-11, 07:12
Thank you, I also think it is the tortillas. I am having to go back and look at things. I had just started the OWL but need to go back and read somemore. I am now at only a trace of Ketosis.

lpsllbpjl

ShaneInMN
Tue, May-31-11, 07:34
If you're measuring with the ketostix strips, like a scale it won't always give you the exact picture. Your body can still be in ketosis but you won't have any/much in your urine. That just means your body is using them up.

Also, if you are just starting the OWL phase, the first rung is foundation vegetables (what you were eating during induction). I would start there. Add in 5 more carbs than induction (so 25) in the form of higher carb veggies. If you continue to consistantly lose weight with that (2-3 weeks I would run this test), then you should be able to move to the 2nd rung. It's trial and error, all bodies are different and some LC foods prevent weight loss.

Check out the carb ladder here -
http://www.atkins.com/Program/ProgramOverview/HowandWhyAtkinsWorks/ReachYourGoalbyClimbingtheCarbLadder.aspx

Best of luck!

Oh, and I am not sure if your stats are reversed for the current/goal weight, but it appears that you are already below your goal ?? 236/124/150