PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and haven't really gotten started yet

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

abbyful
Tue, May-24-11, 06:36
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Abby, I live in Kansas City with my fiance (will be husband on June 7th 2011!) and 3 dogs. I work as a web developer at a hospital. I was born & raised in rural Kansas, grew up on a farm, moved to the "big city" after college.

My hobbies include my dogs, one of which I show at AKC shows; cooking; ethnic cuisine (love Ethiopian, hands-down my all-time favorite cuisine); and more recently added is learning more about nutrition and health.

About a year and a half ago, wondering how I could "eat better". I was eating all the stuff I thought was healthy but I didn't really feel healthy: low fat, lots of whole-grain, basically trying to follow the food pyramid. It just didn't really seem right, so I started doing some research and came across books by Michael Pollan and Nina Planck. I've since then ditched pretty much all processed junk and became an obsessive label-reader: no HFCS, no hydrogenated oil, no soy, no chemical preservatives, etc. So I'm currently on what I refer to as a "real food" diet. In a way I feel kind of stupid because it seems like it should be common sense to try to eat only "real food" and not "food-like substances", but I had been brainwashed by the food pyramid and government recommendations.

Then a few months ago I came across a blog on the Paleo diet, this has peaked my interest even more.(I don't think I'll ever go 100% hard core Paleo because giving up cheese just seems dreadful, it's my favorite food!) I'm not a bread lover, so cutting back on bread has been pretty easy. I haven't jumped in with both feet, but I have been trying to cut back on carbs more and my current goal is 1/3 of my meals to be Paleo, I plan to keep increasing that over time. So I guess my goal would be "low-carb" than "Paleo".

On a side note: my 3 dogs are already fully Paleo! They eat what's called "raw prey-model diet".

The other thing I need to work on besides diet is physical fitness. I'm skinny, but not fit. I used to dance (ballet, pointe, tap, jazz, lyrical) for about 17 years, I stopped in college when I couldn't find a dance studio I liked. At that time, I took up Tae Kwon Do for a year or so and that didn't really hold my interest. So now I know I'm out of shape even though I'm still the same size I was when I was 15.

Anyways, sorry if that was a really long introduction!

teresaw
Tue, May-24-11, 07:04
:wave: Hi Abby, welcome. Where is a wealth of information here, the people are so, so friendly. Ask away, some one will be only too willing to help you.
You say that you used to dance! why can't you take up dance again? there's nothing more motivating than good music and movement! Your tall, slim, young..so why not go for something a bit more demanding, like Salsa, or, here a thought .... Pole dancing! Have fun. :lol: See you around the site.