PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Thailand

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gregory b
Mon, May-16-11, 09:24
Hi All,

I'm male, 52, Australian, living in Thailand.

I discovered last year I had symptoms of metabolic syndrome. My triglycerides jumped to over 300 in March 2010 and then, in September, after a gluttonous visit to Italy, 520! I was also pre-diabetic with Fasting Blood Sugar of 110.

That put me on a low-carb quest. I'm following the Protein Power "intervention" plan of 30 grams carb per day. I stick to it pretty well. But I've noticed my triglycerides and cholesterol rising, despite my blood sugar going down to normal levels!

I've posted details of this in the General Low Carb forum. Please take a look if you have any suggestions.

oblong
Mon, May-16-11, 09:33
Welcome to the boards! :wave:

I went to Thailand last October - December. Whereabouts are you based there? I was incapable of staying on plan there with all the rice! Part of it was the holiday mentality I had, plus I was travelling with friends and there was a lot of drinking lager involved! I ended up coming home with an extra 10lbs of weight and the worst stomach cramps I've had in years. At least it made me re-evaluate what was important to me on my return and I've been doing very well since then!

Regarding your triglycerides and cholesterol, I think it takes several months for your body to adjust properly to low carb eating if you have previously spent many years eating high carb. There is a lot of information on these forums about cholesterol and I would also recommend the book The Great Cholesterol Con by Malcolm Kendrick.

Good luck on your journey towards health! :)

gregory b
Mon, May-16-11, 09:58
Thanks,

I'm outside Pattaya, 120km south of Bangkok.

I've totally cut out the rice. It's not difficult and I don't miss it. Plenty of other good stuff to eat: fish, meat, veggies.