PDA

View Full Version : I admit my lack of knowledge

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MatthewR
Fri, May-06-11, 12:09
:lol:

My name is Matt. I am 25 years old. I currently weigh 357.8 pounds. I've been overweight my entire life. It's sucked, to put it nicely. :lol:

One day I read that Drew Carey, the comedian, lost a bunch of weight through exercise and a low-carb diet. I was blown away by how different he looked and and it made me really consider embarking on a low-carb diet myself. I have started eating certain kinds of foods in hopes of transitioning into a low-carb diet.

I don't claim to know anything about low-carb. I haven't read a single book, or am following a plan of any sorts. The only stuff I've read is what you find on About.com or a site like that. Those sites have some good information, but not everything a person needs.

I am registering on this forum because I found this site and I've been wanting to register on a low-carb forum in hopes of learning more and perhaps bettering my uneducated low-carb diet.

Really, I just want to lose the weight (naturally -- I don't really want to have surgery to fix this). I think many people can understand where I am coming from; I feel like my obesity has held me back from experiencing many great things in life. I haven't had the best track record with sticking with diets or eating well, or even exercising consistently, but I've been going strong for the 2 weeks I've been trying to eat better and I plan to sign up for a gym and work out 3 days a week within the month. :thup:

Final warning: expect many questions :D

freetobe23
Fri, May-06-11, 12:39
Hi! Welcome to this forum. I, too, am new the forum, but I'm not new to LC. I've done Atkins before, but the last time, I wasn't ready to commit to a new WOE. I've decided to do Atkins this time around because I know it works and provides me with the structure that I need. Visit the forums for the different LC plans. They are filled with info that you might find useful. Ask all of the questions that you need to. We're here for you as you embark on this amazing journey!

Elizellen
Sun, May-08-11, 08:13
Welcome to the board, Matt! :wave:

It is easier in the beginning to follow one of the several established lowcarb plans so you have some guidelines to get started with. Also if you have questions specific to the plan you can post them in the relevant forum to be most likely to get informed answers.

We do have a forum where the various lowcarb plans are described, which might make it easier for you to choose one which most closely agrees with the things you like to eat, so pop over there and see if any particular one appeals to you
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=68

kaylakala
Sun, May-08-11, 08:23
Hi! You are really on the right track by being here. I myself at my heaviest was 289. I went on atkins because you can eat as much protein as you want. I hate being hungry.
A couple cups of low starch veggies and some steak chicken pork what ever you like everyday and you'll be losing some weight.
My favorite is being able to eat bacon.
Also start a journal. You can keep track of what you're eating and how much better you feel too. I found it really helps me.

yarralea
Sun, May-08-11, 08:30
Congratulations Matt! This is a great place to start, and a great place to continue. The members are friendly and helpful. They are generally great at saying what's working for them, rather than forcing advice down your throat. (advice is practically low carb and calorie free)
Me, I picked up a copy of atkins in 2003, stocked up of meat fish and spinach- as well as 5 kinds of cheese, some ketostix and lost 45lbs in the first month. I went off my plan a few years ago, and now I am starting over.
I am happiest when I am close to zero carb, I eat in a controlled way. My friends say its restrictive, but I feel it gives me freedom. It's not a diet, it's now the way I just eat. These forums will help you discern which plan will suit you.

Take your measurements! I wish I did, because the scales will tell you but the tape measure will confirm things are a'changin!

Nancy LC
Sun, May-08-11, 08:41
The thing this board is best for is support. When you think you're going to die of boredom, or you just want to give up, that's where this board comes into play.

Education too, but there are lots of places to go for that. :)

SarahJayne
Thu, May-12-11, 09:20
Hi Matt! I'm new here as well and I'm also 25. I know exactly how you feel, being overweight all my life as well. I've always felt my weight has held me back from living the life I want. But I think going low carb is a great diet. I think it's just plain healthier for you than starving your body of fat and eating super low in calories. I've not been on LC for long and havent lost weight yet but am restarting it following Atkins rules and I think this will really work :D

Good luck!

Sarah

mizski
Thu, May-12-11, 09:42
Hi Matt :wave: and congrats for deciding to do something about your health at a young age. A lot of us have tried various LC diets before finding a plan we stuck with so you will have lots of people to help you out or make suggestions.

It is important to find something that you can stick with though. While you're scoping out the various plans, you can start right now by getting rid of all the sugars and junky snack & fast foods. Cut out grains & legumes for now too or at least switch over to very small portions and whole grains over white flour.

Looking forward to reading more posts from you! :)