PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - Advice on Induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shelbynj
Sun, May-01-11, 21:39
Hello,
I am hoping someone here could offer me some suggestions, and maybe tell me what I am doing wrong.
I have been doing Atkins Induction for the past 10 days, yet I have yet to get into ketosis. (I check with keto sticks all day!)
I have only been eating eggs, meat, chicken, fish, lettuce salad, cucumbers, mushrooms,.. basically only what is on the list.
I sometimes have my salad with olive oil and grated parmesian, sometimes lettuce with lemon. I do eat sugar free jello a couple of times a day. Is that wrong?
Maybe I am having too many carbs from my salads or maybe my veggies?
I don't know, but I don't get how no one but me is hungry between meals?
What do you guys eat as a snack?
Please help,,,10 days and down 7 pounds.[/FONT]

cnmLisa
Sun, May-01-11, 21:47
Hello,
I am hoping someone here could offer me some suggestions, and maybe tell me what I am doing wrong.
I have been doing Atkins Induction for the past 10 days, yet I have yet to get into ketosis. (I check with keto sticks all day!)
I have only been eating eggs, meat, chicken, fish, lettuce salad, cucumbers, mushrooms,.. basically only what is on the list.
I sometimes have my salad with olive oil and grated parmesian, sometimes lettuce with lemon. I do eat sugar free jello a couple of times a day. Is that wrong?
Maybe I am having too many carbs from my salads or maybe my veggies?
I don't know, but I don't get how no one but me is hungry between meals?
What do you guys eat as a snack?
Please help,,,10 days and down 7 pounds.[/FONT]

10 pounds in 7 days??!!! Nothing wrong with that!:) :thup:

As long as you're losing, I wouldn't worry about what the ketone stick registers--would you care if you lost 100 pounds and never registered ketones? I didn't think so;)

In terms of why you may be hungry between meals...

It looks like you're light on the fats. Fats are what give you the satiated feeling so you're not hungry. Also, are you eating enough. You should be eating until you're satisfied but not stuffed.

Instead of lettuce with just lemon--try lettuce with lemon, olive oil, garlic and 1-2 TBS finely grated parmesean.

Also, intead of eating SF jello a couple of times a day, opt for one serving once a day.

I gave up snacking a long time ago. I make sure that I eat a satifying meal. And if I'm hungry, I eat a MEAL.

HTH

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Beez in BR
Sun, May-01-11, 21:47
Drop the SF jello while you are on induction -- just in case. You need a snack with FAT, jello doesn't really help.

You need to make sure you are getting enough fat to keep yourself satisfied.

Deviled eggs really, really helped me get through induction. (Duke's mayo is sugar-free.)

Enter all of your foods into FitDay.com to make sure you don't have any hidden carbs.

shelbynj
Sun, May-01-11, 21:59
I thank you both for your responses.
The book is so vague, am I limited to how much protein I can eat on induction?
Atkins sample recipies show so little food.
For instance, if I wanted, could I have 5 eggs, rather than two?
As far as fats are concerned, especially as a snack, would you please elaborate.
Thanks!

Thomas1492
Mon, May-02-11, 00:18
Shelby a good rule of thumb is 1gram of protein per pound of lean body mass..At 185 I would guestimate you at 20% body fat,so around 150g of protein would be good for you..Here is an awesome calculator by Robb Wolf who authored "The Paleo Solution"and has a degree in biochemistry and nutrition...Then just get in good fats like coconut oil,unsweetened coconut flakes,avocado,macadamian nuts,etc...I hope this helps you!! :)
Protien calculator (http://eatmoreprotein.com/)

shelbynj
Mon, May-02-11, 07:20
Thanks Thomas. On induction however, I am certain that nuts are taboo, although I am not sure about coconut.
I hope it is allowed, because my biggest craving is for this Thai food dish made with chicken, cauliflouer, yellow curry and coconut milk....mmm!
After induction however, I will definitely use those suggestions.
Btw, my body fat is 31.5!
Pretty scary!
Once again, thank you, and good luck to you as well!