PDA

View Full Version : Skim milk used to fatten pigs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Moselle
Mon, Apr-25-11, 14:06
I read this and immediately went looking for documentation.

I found this: http://www.earlytorise.com/2006/07/21/the-fast-track-to-six-figures/

Millions
of people drink skim milk to help keep their weight down. But
new evidence has shown that skim milk – not, as you may expect,
full-fat milk – actually makes you gain weight.

That's
the result of a recent Harvard study of 12,829 children ages
9 to 14 published in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent
Medicine. And it shocked the medical establishment.

But
farmers weren't surprised. When they want to fatten a pig,
they feed it skim milk. Here's why: Removing the milk fat (cream)
leaves only the milk sugar (lactose) … and an unbalanced,
sugary drink that leads to weight gain.

Unfortunately, they didn't give a link to anything about the study.

The unbalanced drink made sense, but I looked a little further and found this anecdote:

http://annchilders.blogspot.com/2011/02/just-say-no-to-skim-milk.html

The post cites a couple of studies, and explains at least one reason for the pig fattening thing:

Curious, I ask, “Why do you give them skim milk? Why not full fat milk to fatten pigs?” to which she replies, “Fat satisfies their appetites. If I give them milk fat my meat pigs won’t eat!”

Moselle
Mon, Apr-25-11, 14:09
Whoa, I did a little more googling and found excerpts from several farmers' manuals recommending skim milk and grains for pigs that need fattening!

Thomas1492
Mon, Apr-25-11, 15:50
Well Moselle,it certainly has worked for the average American,So I am not surprised at all about the pigs...All those brainwashed sheeple,dutifully eating their bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats with Fat-free Milk....And they wonder why we have a Obesity and diabetes epidemic..:(

girlgerms
Tue, Apr-26-11, 07:20
So, is the reasoning because there is more lactose in skim milk and they get hungry? Or is it because they just don't feel as hungry because of the fat?

Equinox
Tue, Apr-26-11, 07:30
I shudder to think, when I was a kid I was already overweight and so I drank skim milk at school, but since I hated the stuff, I added chocolate powder to be able to force it down...

No wonder my classmates called me a fat pig; I ate like one!

Angeline
Tue, Apr-26-11, 11:53
So, is the reasoning because there is more lactose in skim milk and they get hungry? Or is it because they just don't feel as hungry because of the fat?

I think it's both. I know that if i eat a high-carb, low-fat meal, I will be starving latter on, and suffer all the symptoms of hypoglycemia. If I eat a high-carb, but with fat, I won't.

teresaw
Tue, Apr-26-11, 12:09
As I said before I live in the countryside, the whole area around me is suported by dairy sheep farming. As an aside to sheep and the production of milk for Pecorino cheese, riccota and the bi products, most of the farmers breed pigs. They all give the pigs a daily dose of "giotta" ( not very sure of the spelling ) but it's the light milk when they want to fatten them up. It look like cloudy water, but it's the whey from the cheese making. We also bred pigs when it was my husband and myself, but we never gave them any as I preferred to just give them more grain and greens. It's all very true, they eat and eat with that stuff.

mike_d
Wed, Apr-27-11, 20:55
Skim has about the same glycemic impact as soda pop according to the Harvard diet book. Skim milk on cereal with toast and a glass of OJ -- now that's a healthy breakfast :lol:

indie
Wed, Apr-27-11, 22:38
As I said before I live in the countryside, the whole area around me is suported by dairy sheep farming. As an aside to sheep and the production of milk for Pecorino cheese, riccota and the bi products, most of the farmers breed pigs. They all give the pigs a daily dose of "giotta" ( not very sure of the spelling ) but it's the light milk when they want to fatten them up. It look like cloudy water, but it's the whey from the cheese making. We also bred pigs when it was my husband and myself, but we never gave them any as I preferred to just give them more grain and greens. It's all very true, they eat and eat with that stuff.

Same here!

I also live in the country and around here the pig farmers go to the bakeries and Deli's to get the left over pastries. They also go to the prisons and get the leftover rolls and rice. They blend this in 50 gallon drums with water or other fluids to feed pigs and call it swill.

I eat very little pork knowing this...

Ron_Mocci
Thu, Apr-28-11, 05:17
And with Skim milk we don't get the vitamins !

Water
Fri, Apr-29-11, 15:47
Pigs (and chickens) have traditionally been kept on farms as an easy way to raise meat animals on the scraps and garbage generated by the farm. Farmers with dairy cows sell either whole milk (so nothing for the pigs) or cream (the most valuable part of the milk, and shipping cream does not demand sanitary conditions as high as whole milk). The farmers that sell cream have a whole lot of skim milk that has to be gotten rid of - by feeding it to the pigs. It may well be that farmers noted that pigs fatten well on skim milk.
I don't think that any commercial hog operation would go to the trouble of sourcing skim milk to feed to pigs.

Za'atar
Fri, Apr-29-11, 15:55
Last night I was reading the chapter in GCBC (Taubes) about fattening diets, Sumo Wrestlers eat a pork stew that is loaded with sugar, (I think they said about 75%) or else, they would not be able to eat that much of the stuff (about 6000 calories worth per day). If the sugar had not been added to the stew, they would not be able to eat as much-- same as the pigs. Sugar makes you eat more. (Sorry-- off the subject of milk).

SilverEm
Fri, Apr-29-11, 16:06
This report on dietary lactose and grains in weanling pigs might be of interest:

http://www.animal-science.org/cgi/reprint/71/12/3376.pdf

Yep, skim milk and grain cereal. :) Oink!