PDA

View Full Version : There are no fat geologists!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

notgniess
Wed, Apr-06-11, 10:23
This is what one of my grad school instructors told me, and truthfully, the entire staff in my graduate program is fit and in shape. I had a bit of a wake up call earlier this year when it was a real strain on my body to complete my field work.

I've done low/no fat and low calorie. Heck, I lost 150 pounds eating 400-700 calories a day. That wasn't even remotely sustainable, and 80 of those pounds came back rather quickly when I got very sick and had to take steroids and depend on other people to prepare meals for me. I tried to go back to it, but even severely restricting and walking 3-4 miles a day wasn't making the scale budge and only making me binge after getting frustrated!

I suffer from an autoimmune disease, and I have severe celiac, so I am hoping the research I've read about low carb being good for inflammation works for me! I'd love to just feel better.

I'm four days in and I have lost 5 pounds on Atkins induction. I hope everyone has a good day and I am going to get back to my flax pancakes. :wave:

jaybird
Thu, Apr-07-11, 08:30
Welcome to the forums. I am back here myself just this week, after "falling off the wagon" for a few years. I had very good success with lowcarb in the past, and as long as I stick with it as a lifestyle I have much better energy and feel great. I tried a very low cal diet several months back and after losing 30 pounds very quickly I gained it all back and then some.

I've never been tested for celiac but I've discovered through elimination diet that I am at least very intolerant of gluten. I've lost almost 5 pounds in 3 days just by eliminating gluten and reducing sugar, I haven't even started the Atkins induction yet.

jschwab
Thu, Apr-07-11, 08:53
I was just thinking about that the other day - how geologists are all skinny and fit! Work on fit, I think, before skinny, and healing from the celiac. Welcome!