PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as "fat-skinny"?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SylvieK
Thu, Mar-31-11, 19:00
We've heard about people being "skinny-fat" -- where they're apparently thin but eat high-carb/high-sugar and may have health issues as a result.

But what about being "fat-skinny"? After several years of vast changes in what and how I eat, I lost some weight -- but not enough to no longer be considered "overweight."

And yet so many improvements in health, energy, and focus. But someone meeting me for the first time might only see that I'm carrying extra weight and assume that I have all the problems related to obesity. Yet I'm doing pretty well, considering that I'm recovering from past unhealthy habits.

I know that continued weight loss is the goal, but sometimes that seems elusive -- and the important thing is to acknowledge much improved health and quality of life due to the LC transformation.

Kisal
Thu, Mar-31-11, 19:49
That's the situation I find myself in now, after almost 6 years of lc. I'm happy for the health benefits. I'd love to lose more weight, but the truth is that avoiding diabetes, heart disease, etc. is sufficient reason for me to continue my lc way of life. :)

(Not to mention that I also love the food. ;) )

cnmLisa
Thu, Mar-31-11, 19:49
Hmmm....

I always defined the "skinny-fat" as someone who was thin or normal weight but had no muscle mass what so ever---skinny, but with a lot of fat--regardless of what they ate.
(Hence the reply you'll see me make over and over again--I'd rather weigh 200 pounds and be a size 6 instead of 150 pounds and wear a 14) Muscle mass is the name of this game.

Just because you're skinny, doesn't meant you're healthy and vice versa.

In my opinion, LC for health and the weight issue is the bonus.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

cnmLisa
Thu, Mar-31-11, 19:50
That's the situation I find myself in now, after almost 6 years of lc. I'm happy for the health benefits. I'd love to lose more weight, but the truth is that avoiding diabetes, heart disease, etc. is sufficient reason for me to continue my lc way of life. :)

(Not to mention that I also love the food. ;) )

That's successful!

jschwab
Thu, Mar-31-11, 20:05
Yes, I consider myself in this category.

mollemcg
Fri, Apr-01-11, 05:25
I've fit that category for years. My blood work has always been excellent, fitness has been strong, I just have had an extra 50 -60 lbs to lose. [It always annoyed some of my family members who had bad blood work but weren't 'overweight'] A few years ago I really got into working out and I went down one size but up about 15 lbs. I find it funny that I was in much better athletic shape at 197lbs than I ever was at 127. Now my goal is to have the great blood work, be really fit and eventually get down to a smaller size.

I'm not even really sure about my goal weight since my body composition is so different from when I was 'skinny'. I'd like to be a size 8 on top and a loose 10 on the bottom. When size ten jeans aren't tight on me, I'll be thrilled. I don't care what that weight is. I just know it's less than what I am right now. :)

Nancy LC
Fri, Apr-01-11, 08:20
We've heard about people being "skinny-fat" -- where they're apparently thin but eat high-carb/high-sugar and may have health issues as a result.

I wonder if this (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18594089/ns/health-fitness/) might be what you're talking about.

Oh wait, you're talking about the opposite!

Skinny-fat have a lot of visceral fat and not so much subcutaneous fat. So fat-skinny would be the opposite. Hmmm... I suppose it is possible.

BeefyPork
Sat, Apr-02-11, 12:25
Hmmm....

I always defined the "skinny-fat" as someone who was thin or normal weight but had no muscle mass what so ever---skinny, but with a lot of fat--regardless of what they ate.
(Hence the reply you'll see me make over and over again--I'd rather weigh 200 pounds and be a size 6 instead of 150 pounds and wear a 14) Muscle mass is the name of this game.

Just because you're skinny, doesn't meant you're healthy and vice versa.

In my opinion, LC for health and the weight issue is the bonus.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
Agreed. Nice post, Lisa. :thup:

My best friend is what I'd call "skinny fat". When you see him out, you would just think he's rail thin, but at the pool? Flab. Why? His crappy carb-domating diet.