PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Loser: Low-Carb Edition?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NadaCarb83
Sat, Mar-26-11, 09:40
I was watching the Biggest Loser the other night and kept wondering to myself the following:

-What would a low-carb edition look like in comparison to the current low-fat/low-carb edition? Who would be the trainers/doctors on this low-carb edition? What kind of corporate sponsors would help fund the show?

-Would this low-carb edition be a viable or effective way for such diets to establish popular traction as a legitimate alternative to the low-fat/low-calorie method? What would be harm of trying to promote low-carb as an alternative via reality-TV show competition?

-What are the major factors/players against such a show being aired?

-Is there already a reality-TV low-carb show that I'm just not aware of?

I haven't completely thought any of this through, but I would appreciate any thoughts you may have in regard to promoting the low-carb approach as an alternative to low-fat/low-calorie via cable reality-TV shows. Thanks in advance! :help:

Ilikemice
Sat, Mar-26-11, 11:00
Jimmy Moore had a couple of posts on his blog in response to the vegan-promoting movie Forks over Knives coming out soon, and the struggles of a filmmaker who is bringing out an apparently pro-Paleo eating movie. The gist of Jimmy’s post is that the LC/Paleo community doesn’t yet have the organization or sponsors to quickly get out a major theatre event and I would guess that applies to a national TV show. Maybe our best bet is starting at local TV (public access, if that still exists at all) and hoping it will take off. It would be nice, wouldn’t it.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/march-2011-update-on-cj-hunts-documentary-in-search-of-the-perfect-human-diet/10272

WBrian
Sun, Mar-27-11, 10:15
If organized, it could be done on the cheap as a web based show, on the cheap. Then if any success or notoriety occurs, the networks might pick it up...

Later,
Brian

mike_d
Sun, Mar-27-11, 18:00
Probably not exciting enough for a 'reality show' watcher, since all the crazy exercise would be optional. They would likely switch to "Wipeout"

Ilikemice
Sun, Mar-27-11, 20:42
You don't need exercise for a reality show Mike, all you need is drama, doncha know? Even in the relatively lowkey LC community we can get up a little bit of that :lol:

heartform
Sun, Mar-27-11, 20:55
Probably not exciting enough for a 'reality show' watcher, since all the crazy exercise would be optional. They would likely switch to "Wipeout"

But Wipeout is so fun to watch! :lol: I always think while watching the biggest loser that they can't possibly be eating the crap they endorse. Subway really? 80% bread 15% salt 5% stuff that's good for you.

If they do, it has to be all the exercise they do, not what they are eating that helps them lose. Plus shooting 14 days worth of weight loss and calling it a week does help with the numbers.

The thing I did notice is in those episodes where they brought back former contestants a lot of them were chubby again. Probably because the level of exercise they were doing is impossible to maintain, and they were filling up on subway, and fiber 1 bars.

gwynne2
Thu, Mar-31-11, 07:53
I tried watching some Biggest Loser after I started using one of Jillian Michaels' videos. I'm an unapologetic reality tv hater, but it was even worse than I expected. Terrible editing to create faux drama, nonstop product placement, and very very little information about HOW the contestants were losing weight. I suppose it was stupid of me to expect them to detail the diet and exercise plans in favor of endless stretches of stupid challenges and waiting for the 'scale' to display a real number.

Citruskiss
Thu, Mar-31-11, 08:29
I've only ever watched part of one episode, so I don't know what a "low carb" edition would look like in comparison to the current edition, but I do have a long list of ideas for corporate sponsors:

Weber Grills (BBQ's)
Chipotle (burrito bowl)
Wendy's (best fast-food salads)
Carl's Junior (still has their low-carb six dollar burger)
Denny's (Ultimate omelet is pretty low-carb)
Blue Diamond (their unsweetened vanilla almond milk is just 1 carb per 8 ounce glass)
Dole (good frozen wild blueberries, for later rungs of ongoing weight-loss)
any kind of frozen vegetable company (I usually buy fresh, so can't think of the big brand names right now)
Buffalo Wild Wings (most of their wings are low carb)
A bacon company of some kind
Costco and/or Sam's Club - planning is key - buy your large-sized packages of meat here...etc.
Cracker Barrel - haven't been to one in years - I think they might still have a low-carb menu?
Outback - steak and vegetable dinners
Heinz - dill relish, reduced sugar ketchup etc.
A well-known Brazilian steakhouse chain - not sure if there's a national chain
Bertolli or some other well-known olive oil brand
Earthbound Farms - pre-prepped salads, vegetables etc.
Mott's - Realemon and Realime juices
McCormick's - spices and spice blends
Target - good deals on inexpensive and stylish clothing while you're losing weight
Whole Foods Market (this would be a good fit, lower-carb eating is *all about* whole foods)

You get the idea - there are lots of possibilities.

NadaCarb83
Thu, Mar-31-11, 18:20
I've only ever watched part of one episode, so I don't know what a "low carb" edition would look like in comparison to the current edition, but I do have a long list of ideas for corporate sponsors:

Weber Grills (BBQ's)
Chipotle (burrito bowl)
Wendy's (best fast-food salads)
Carl's Junior (still has their low-carb six dollar burger)
Denny's (Ultimate omelet is pretty low-carb)
Blue Diamond (their unsweetened vanilla almond milk is just 1 carb per 8 ounce glass)
Dole (good frozen wild blueberries, for later rungs of ongoing weight-loss)
any kind of frozen vegetable company (I usually buy fresh, so can't think of the big brand names right now)
Buffalo Wild Wings (most of their wings are low carb)
A bacon company of some kind
Costco and/or Sam's Club - planning is key - buy your large-sized packages of meat here...etc.
Cracker Barrel - haven't been to one in years - I think they might still have a low-carb menu?
Outback - steak and vegetable dinners
Heinz - dill relish, reduced sugar ketchup etc.
A well-known Brazilian steakhouse chain - not sure if there's a national chain
Bertolli or some other well-known olive oil brand
Earthbound Farms - pre-prepped salads, vegetables etc.
Mott's - Realemon and Realime juices
McCormick's - spices and spice blends
Target - good deals on inexpensive and stylish clothing while you're losing weight
Whole Foods Market (this would be a good fit, lower-carb eating is *all about* whole foods)

You get the idea - there are lots of possibilities.

By sponsoring a low-carb edition of Biggest Loser, my concern is that a lot of these businesses would potentially be cannibalizing their own product offerings. For example, Whole Foods is a viable option for low-carbers, but they also sell a lot of stuff that's high in carbs too--like their bakery section.

Now, I was also watching this "American's Next Greatest Fast Food Chain" show that features Steve Ellis, founder of Chipotle, and my thought there was "well, if it's difficult to get a low-carb edition of Biggest Loser off the ground, would a fast food place specifically catered to low-carbers work?" And here I have my doubts as well. I'm just trying to figure out how to use the vehicles of pop-media to promote low-carb dieting.

Maybe a reality TV show called "Diet Wars"? Just thinking out loud here.

Touchstone
Thu, Mar-31-11, 20:08
Maybe a reality TV show called "Diet Wars"? Just thinking out loud here.

Great title :) Sounds like something A & E would be interested in.

Citruskiss
Thu, Mar-31-11, 21:06
I have many more to add to the 'list,' but the thing is - the gist of the whole idea isn't that you're trying to replace old high-carb favourites, and furthermore, you aren't trying to buy 'specialty' foods or replacement products. I think a "low carb" version of some kind of diet show on TV would be best to try and showcase all kinds of companies that make and provide food that is naturally lower in carbohydrate content (for the most part, I'd make an exception for reduced sugar ketchup...lol).

How about:

Wholly Guacamole
La Victoria Salsa
V8 Juice
Jimmy Dean All Natural bulk breakfast sausage
various cheese companies (Cracker Barrel in Canada, Tillamook in the US, Kerrygold etc.)
Peloponnese Kalamata Olives
Christopher Ranch garlic
a brand of lower-carb (naturally, not messed with) spaghetti type sauce or alfredo sauce (ie. Ragu/Classico or something similar)
Bick's pickles (Canada)
Boursin cheese
big-name brand of tuna (Cloverleaf or Starkist)
Real Canadian Superstore President's Choice products (Kobe meatballs)
Costco Kirkland products (frozen turkey burgers, and lots of other things)
Tazo tea
Starbuck's coffee
a brand of all-natural nut butter (unsweetened)

These companies are missing out on a great opportunity, imo.

I'd be jumping on the "Lower Carb, Naturally" bandwagon if I were them.

NadaCarb83
Fri, Apr-01-11, 15:23
I have many more to add to the 'list,' but the thing is - the gist of the whole idea isn't that you're trying to replace old high-carb favourites, and furthermore, you aren't trying to buy 'specialty' foods or replacement products. I think a "low carb" version of some kind of diet show on TV would be best to try and showcase all kinds of companies that make and provide food that is naturally lower in carbohydrate content (for the most part, I'd make an exception for reduced sugar ketchup...lol)....

Good point. Who knows, if those types of foods receive more demand because of more favorable exposure, then perhaps food companies will start to react more to the low-carb dieters.

scthgharpy
Tue, Apr-05-11, 15:51
How does chipotle cater to Low carbers? They feature burritos on their billboards, fer crying out loud.

They could have a lot of drama fun with the Induction flu. owww, my head! Somebody give me a baguette!

Citruskiss
Tue, Apr-05-11, 16:33
How does chipotle cater to Low carbers? They feature burritos on their billboards, fer crying out loud.

They could have a lot of drama fun with the Induction flu. owww, my head! Somebody give me a baguette!

I don't go there often, but when I do - I order their burrito bowl, and ask for it without rice or beans. I usually order extra guacamole, and other LC toppings.