PDA

View Full Version : Newly on Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Touchstone
Mon, Mar-21-11, 20:34
Just started Atkins (induction) two days ago and wanted to say hello.

I first read the book about 10 years ago b/c of all the brouhaha around low carb - I wanted to see for myself what the big deal was. Anyway, it seemed like a good case for l/c so I cut sugar, upped protein and fat, lost a few pounds and felt great. The weight started creeping up about four years ago, first to 170 lbs, then to almost 200 lbs. I reckon all the Haagen Dazs's, fast food and beer had something to do with it. Anyway, I few weeks ago I decided to sweets and alcohol and I lost about 7-8 lbs in three weeks.

A few days ago I read Gary Taubes's Good Calories Bad Calories. The book makes a great case for the low carb approach and basically confirms what Atkins had been saying for 40 years. So I dusted off my Atkins book, started re-reading it and got on Induction on Saturday.

I am doing strict induction, not using sweeteners or processed foods so we'll see how far it takes me. I plan to weigh myself once a week so there are a few more days to go before results (if any - I reckon the weight loss from the three weeks before Atkins may slow weight loss during Induction). I also started running 2-3 times a week (nothing strenuous, 15-20 mins of intervals) and I want to add some Pilates and press-ups (I want to build up to mid-double digits at least - now I am at a pathetic total of 3).

That's roughly it. I'll try to chime in at the discussions (I really like the info and tone of the forum, that's why I registered) and I welcome any comments or suggestions.

TS

Hismouse
Tue, Mar-22-11, 13:23
Sounds very good your plan:) and the weighing is best when not done ever day, it keeps you from going nuts if it doesn't change.

So how many carbs are you eating a day?

Good Luck and have fun:) your running and other exercise will help to:)

freckles
Tue, Mar-22-11, 14:20
Hello and welcome!

Touchstone
Tue, Mar-22-11, 15:17
Thanks for the encouragement :wave:

So how many carbs are you eating a day?

Not sure about the exact number of carbs, I'd have to start entering my meals in PLAN or the other one, fitday. I only eat induction foods: 3 cups of allowed veggies with olive oil and vinegar or lemon dressing, eggs (omelette with parsley and a bit of grated cheese or fried eggs), chicken, canned salmon or tuna, pork chops, sometimes avocado or olives for variety and some heavy cream in my coffee. So I should not be over 20 carbs but I'll log in my foods to see what the programme says. What level of carbs worked for you?

As to exercise, I only started exercising after I cut out alcohol and sweets a few weeks ago. It's interesting, for the last two years I'd been telling myself I should go for a run (I do like running) or play some tennis but never got the energy to do it. I was eating lots of pizza, ice cream and BK whoppers with fries and onion rings so it's not like I did not have enough calories coming in. :) Once I cut some carbs I found the energy.

Actually I have a couple of questions for long-time lowcarbers. The first is about coffee. I still drink regular coffee rather than decaf - that's the only non-approved thing for induction I have. Just can't face giving up coffee for good & am willing to risk blood sugar dips. What do you guys do about it? Decaf, no coffee or regular caffeinated?

The second is about the sticks that measure ketosis - how useful are they?

Thanks again and am off to the PLAN thingie to enter my food from today. Cheers, TS

Hismouse
Tue, Mar-22-11, 16:48
Well I am a type 1 Diabetic so I take insulin, but 2 shots a day, because my carbs are low. I average about 50, and when it go to low well I have to fix that first with Glucose then if needed sweet something. So on average 50...

Have I lost, well its been hard for me, the Insulin causes weight gain, and I am a stickler, still fighting. I did lose 20 lbs last yr. And keep on trying.

Oh the coffee, I tried decaf for yrs, and am back on regular, it never changed a thing for me.

The keto sticks, I did use then at the begining, but because obsessed, just like the scale. So I gave them up and I weigh on Wednesdays.

I use Fitclick for tracking my meals. I never understood the My Plan, or fitday. I am a little computer dumb, I guess, lol

:) BK whoppers, and Sweets and Alcohol, well your body will thank you:)

I sure do wish you fun, and good health:) Debbie

Touchstone
Wed, Mar-23-11, 17:17
Thanks, Debbie. Good luck to you too, it looks like you've lost a good amount of weight already, even when you have to work around Type I diabetes, that must be tough. It's good to hear about the coffee and the ketosis sticks - I'll probably stay with the regular coffee and skip the sticks, I don't want to obsess too much about technicalities. As long as I lose weight I'll be happy :-)