PDA

View Full Version : So glad to be here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Chende
Mon, Mar-21-11, 08:41
Hi Everyone,
Well, here I am on day one. The last couple of times I attempted this (Atkins), I had a hard time at the beginning so I am trying to approach this "one day at a time". I think before I was looking too far ahead and feeling discouraged that I might never have some of my fave foods again. I love all fruit and my "treat" is generally a vanilla latte so I will have to deal with overcoming those cravings.

But, I HAVE to be successful. It's so discouraging looking in the mirror or, worse, looking at photos of myself. Last summer my daughter graduated from high school and looking at the pictures I look tired, depressed, and just generally fat and uncomfortable.

So, I'm at the starting gate..looking forward to the ride!

Carolyn :wave:

Sarrita
Tue, Mar-22-11, 14:00
Good luck! You can do it! We're all doing it together!

Bipley
Tue, Mar-22-11, 14:12
Hi Everyone,
Well, here I am on day one. The last couple of times I attempted this (Atkins), I had a hard time at the beginning so I am trying to approach this "one day at a time". I think before I was looking too far ahead and feeling discouraged that I might never have some of my fave foods again. I love all fruit and my "treat" is generally a vanilla latte so I will have to deal with overcoming those cravings.

But, I HAVE to be successful. It's so discouraging looking in the mirror or, worse, looking at photos of myself. Last summer my daughter graduated from high school and looking at the pictures I look tired, depressed, and just generally fat and uncomfortable.

So, I'm at the starting gate..looking forward to the ride!

Carolyn :wave:

There is another board for weight loss surgery folks and they have before and after photos. The thing that always strikes me is how unhappy they look before and how happy they look at goal. They usually look sad and depressed.

I refused to let anyone take photos of me at my highest. I was always the one TAKING the photos to avoid being in them but I am sure I was exactly the same way.

Can I offer a bit of advice? I know about feeling like you'll miss those foods but if you change your thinking a bit about food you'll realize... it's just food. Before goal we tend to hyperfocus on food. Everything revolves around food, when we can eat it, who we eat it with, parties, gatherings, it's all about food. Once you change your thinking about it you realize... it's just food. It's not a family member, it's not our livelyhood, it's just a piece of cake or whatever the food item is. Instead of living to eat, eat to live.

Before I had weight loss surgery all I thought about was food and what if I couldn't have my favorite foods post op. Today, I don't care. It just doesn't matter to me.

I was one that just couldn't do it on my own, I didn't have what it takes to lose weight so I did have a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I applaud those who can do it without surgery, I'm just not one of them. But in my case since my stomach is the size of a ping pong ball I was forced to deal with my food issues. When I am stressed or have anxiety I can no longer turn to food. So that forced me to change my thinking and I have. And you can, too!

There really will be a day when you just don't care about your favorite foods anymore, honest.

Chende
Tue, Mar-22-11, 14:16
Thank you...I guess I do need to change my view of food because I do believe I find "pleasure" in certain foods and I should likely be finding other ways to feel fulfilled or pleasured. I find myself thinking about all the things I can't eat, instead of all that I can. That really needs to change. Thanks for the support.