PDA

View Full Version : scarsdale diet

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nutsnseeds
Fri, Mar-18-11, 08:21
Anyone remember this diet? It always worked for me when I was young and it is moderately LC so I am thinking of trying it now to shake some of these stubborn pounds that aren't going anywhere on Atkins. Pros? Cons?

Barnrat
Fri, Mar-18-11, 09:21
I remember it, and it's not very sound. Scarsdale has very strict requirements without any science backing them up, as I recall.

Cerridwen
Fri, Mar-18-11, 11:37
I seem to remember my mom being on this one in the 80's. I read up on it a couple of years ago, and it struck me as low carb, and low fat.
I think I would starve. I hate cottage cheese :)
C.

Barnrat
Fri, Mar-18-11, 12:26
Yeah that's it--low carb and low fat. And he sets out exactly what you can eat each day and tells you that you can't vary from that at all. Weird. How are you supposed to stick with that?

cnmLisa
Fri, Mar-18-11, 20:24
Yeah. I remember it. I remember being hungry the whole time.

WereBear
Sat, Mar-19-11, 06:16
It's LOW FAT. I can't lose if my fat is too low unless I exercise an hour and a half a day.

I'd rather eat bacon.

Doesn't sound like the right kind of shakeup to try.

Barnrat
Sat, Mar-19-11, 09:49
nutsnseeds, when you say that you aren't going anywhere on Atkins, can you tell us more about your situation? How long have you been doing atkins? How close are you to goal? How long has it been since the scale moved? What are you eating? Stuff like that! Folks might have some suggestions on other things you could try.

Karen

nutsnseeds
Sun, Mar-20-11, 12:05
Hi Barnrat -
I've been on atkins since Nov 09 this go around. Lost to almost goal years ago and fell off the wagon. Since Nov 09 I have lost about 40 pounds but nothing since August 2010. Rather I should say I lose 5-7 then gain it back. Rinse and repeat. I still have 40 pounds to lose. I average about 1500 calories and 20-30 net carbs per day but that would be a high estimate. My fat % stays around 65-70% so definitely an atkins mix. I do incorporate nuts and berries in addition to meat, dairy and veggies. I very rarely eat LC wraps or such. I don't track every day but the days I track run around 1200-1300 calories and less than 20 carbs. Just being conservative to factor in the odd glass of wine or bite of desert. I exercise 4-6 times per week. A mix of treadmill, pilates, curves circuit training, zumba and jillian micheals 30 day shred. I should be losing, right?

The curveball in this mix might be my hormones. I am perimenopausal and stopped losing right when my body when crazy. I still have random periods, not predictable and some other mild symptoms. I feel like I am dieting hard, exercising hard and staying in the same spot for waaaaay too long. Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome.

RDRWRTR
Sun, Mar-20-11, 12:15
It sounds like your calories are really low for as physically active as you are.

Barnrat
Sun, Mar-20-11, 12:39
I am thinking, that, too,rdrwrtr. I'd try bumping up the calories and see what happens. I can sure see why you are frustrated!

bobiam
Sun, Mar-20-11, 12:41
scarsdale seems kind of similar to stillman to me. with grains.

Snapple8
Tue, Apr-19-11, 22:16
I did Scarsdale this year and lost 20lbs on it. I love fruit and cottage cheese ;) and didn't feel deprived on it at all. It is low carb and lower fat (but not no-fat). For those who are not familiar with it: it is stricter during the initial 2 weeks (sort of like Atkins Induction) and then you add foods during so called "Keep Trim" time. I had very good loss with this diet, it's just that now I am within 10-15 lbs of my goal weight and I have reached a plateau so I decided to try Atkins, for a change.

Some people feel hungry on some diet so you have to find one that is a good match for you. For example, I feel hungry and not satisfied while on Atkins. Everyone is different.

On Scarsdale, you can snack on carrots and celery whenever you are hungry (no restriction on how much of it you can eat). This worked for me and I felt very good. For some other people this might not be enough.

Scarsdale diet is not much different that any other low carb diet. It bans grains/white flour products, potatoes, rice and sugar. It focuses on lean protein, healthy fats and not starchy vegetables. The only difference is that for the initial 2 weeks, it gives you precise daily menus. For some, this can make things easier (especially that breakfast is the same every day).