PDA

View Full Version : Exercises to lose fat in the flanks?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ladybong
Thu, Mar-17-11, 13:58
Hi,
I have lots of belly fat, and particularly in the flanks, and I find it the last part to shrink when I lose weight.
I started jogging 2 months ago (20-30 mins a day, 4,5 times a week) on treadmill. I also do half hour strength training in gym. But unfortunately no result so far :(
Does anyone know a specific exercise to tone up the flanks? Or any advice? Thanks a lot!

Perico
Sun, Apr-03-11, 12:22
Do a YouTube search of the following:
Broom twist
Side jackknife
Turkish get-ups
Russian twist< my favorite!
These are all great for your obliques

SilverEm
Mon, Apr-25-11, 17:09
I find Callanetics especially super for making the muscles sleek and long. For me, they have been miracle exercises.

scottie123
Tue, Nov-29-11, 10:35
The bulge is fat. Sorry to say, you have to either lose that weight or redistribute it. Unfortunately, there is almost no mechanism to redistribute weight. Exercise can strengthen muscles. It cannot remove fat from a specific area. And as you have discovered, where and when the body removes fat is genetic.

Keep working at the weight loss.

xdunlapx
Sat, Mar-17-12, 08:50
Although I can't exercise much I have heard that you cannot choose which areas to lose fat from. It is genetic as scottie123 said. All you can do is keep at your diet and exercising. The fat will lessen over time. I am worried that when I lose most of my weight I'll still be left with a big belly and if that's the case I'll have to get it cut off. But I just started my journey so we'll see.

MizKitty
Sat, Mar-17-12, 08:54
What's a flank?

scottie123
Sat, Mar-17-12, 13:45
flank (flngk)
n.
1. The section of flesh on the body of a person or an animal between the last rib and the hip; the side.
2. A cut of meat from the flank of an animal.
3. A lateral part or side: the flank of a mountain.
a. The right or left side of a military formation: an attack on both flanks.
b. The right or left side of a bastion.

tr.v. flanked, flank·ing, flanks
1. To protect or guard the flank of.
2. To menace or attack the flank of.
3. To be placed or situated at the flank or side of: Two stone lions flanked the entrance.
4. To put (something) on each side of: flanked the driveway with tall shrubs.

[Middle English, from Old English flanc, from Old French flanc, of Germanic origin.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.