PDA

View Full Version : Temptations in the house

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Desert_Bee
Thu, Mar-10-11, 08:56
For those of you who have been LC-ing for a while, and have stuck with it by and large -- do you find that when you first switch over to LC eating, you HAVE to get temptations out of the house?

(Just curious because when I am on about day 2 of LC eating, even when I'm feeling good energy and not hungry, I seem to lose my mind and I will dig into any temptations that are around the house, things like chocolate or sugary candy. It's not that I'm dying for a bagel or a bowl of cereal, which we always have around, but it's the darn sweets that derail me.)

bostonkarl
Thu, Mar-10-11, 09:31
After one week of induction I'm fine. I am an odd duck because I really don't have a sweet tooth for candy, but I love baked goods (muffins, cookies, etc.)

That first week of induction historically is hell for me. Afterwards, once the toxins (read sugar) are gone, I'm in much better shape.

lizard21
Thu, Mar-10-11, 11:00
Once im thru induction, i can honestly say i dont crave sugar or sweet things at all. This will pass!

abbykitty
Thu, Mar-10-11, 11:54
Me too. I can walk by the junk, heck I even bake with my son and I really don't need or want to eat it. Don't get me wrong, I know it would be yummy, and I really wish I could eat and not get fat but it is not difficult to pass it up. You'll get there.

hysteria
Thu, Mar-10-11, 14:23
Takes me about a month now to feel safe cooking / baking treats for my family. Truthfully, I also stay out of the pantry 90% of the time. Almost everything I eat, except pork rinds and the occassional Wasa cracker are frozen / refrigerated. Of course, spices / oils are kept out too - but they are not in the pantry :)

Requin
Thu, Mar-10-11, 21:04
Yes and no...

Thank God for xylitol. I have sweets whenever I want them. I have 'normal' cookies in the house... they've been here since valentines day. Not even tempted.

If I want a sweet, I make an LC one. So I'm really never tempted by a normal sweet.

And I'll admit, it's been 5 years since I found out I shouldn't eat wheat or corn. The first few years I was occasionally tempted. Now, I can honestly say I can't think of anything that tempts me. I can eat tonnes of amazing and delicious foods- sweet and savoury. So I really don't 'miss' any food sensations, and I am fully aware that I will be SO sick if I eat what I shouldn't.

There does come a time when you're not used to blood sugar highs, or potentially you're not used to eating grains, if you avoid them long enough. But is a gradual process, and requires patience (which I'll be the first to say I'm awful with). And once your body finds that balance, it becomes painfully obvious when you throw it out of balance. And then things really aren't 'temptations' anymore...

Beez in BR
Thu, Mar-10-11, 21:13
I just don't keep high-carb things in the house because I don't want anyone in my family eating them. (I buy one loaf of bread a week, my husband and younger son are free to eat any low carb meal I make on bread, if they like. I usually throw away half the loaf every week.)

Other than that loaf of bread, I have gradually thrown out things that we will no longer eat on our low carb WOE. I just don't need it in the house. I threw the bag of sugar away a few months ago. I need to go ahead and throw away my old bags of flour -- I won't be using them.

I make low carb treats so we always have good options. I make MIMs in muffin tins and keep them in the refrigerator in two different flavors, so anybody can grab one when they need a snack. Or, they could grab a cheese stick, deviled egg, or turkey deli meat.

cldade55
Fri, Mar-11-11, 12:31
I would say get the stuff out of the house until you are adapted. Sugar can affect your sense of taste as well as your metabolism. After a couple of weeks, you may find that you are enjoying the taste and texture of your food more.

I am not tempted, but I still have my family keep their sweet treats in the china cabinet. Out of sight, out of mind.

MiniMim
Fri, Mar-11-11, 12:38
I guess I'm the odd one out because the cravings for sweets never completely leaves me. It's worse when I indulge in LC treats made with artificial sweeteners so I've dropped those. But the sight and/or smell of anything sweet is enough to send me into a tailspin. I really have to fight to resist. So, yes, I get them out of the house. If anyone brings something sweet in or bakes anything, they know they have to keep it away from me.

FowlFiend
Fri, Mar-11-11, 15:13
My mom lives in the house, so there is plenty of 'bad stuff' around because I cannot impose good eating habits on her. Doesn't work, I won't win. It might be easier to have it gone, but at the same time, I don't crave it and have stayed out of fresh brownies, Valentine's candy, etc. If it doesn't throw you off track, it's actually nicely affirming to be able to have that stuff around and not feel like you have to eat it.