PDA

View Full Version : Food question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

GOAL210
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:02
I have been doing this for about 6 months or so and am very happy with the progress. I see a lot about whey powders. almond flours, almond oils, coconut oils, etc. My meals usually consist of meat, chicken, eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, and other low carb greens and veggies. Like I said, I am happy with the progress and only have about 7 lbs to goal. I don't feel deprived at all and have no cravings. I have no desire to start on supplements or anything that I can't get at my grocery store. I did all that stuff when I was younger and used to lift weights. My question , after all this rambling, am I missing anything that I should be getting nutrition wise and am not?

FowlFiend
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:10
:) I like 1 minute muffins occasionally (almond flour and flax meal for me) so I have those on hand. A salad and an egg cream (protein powder) is really convenient for lunch, so I keep ingredients for that on hand, too.

Your food choices overall may well be better and healthier than mine, honestly... Most of that stuff, for me, is for convenience or for luxury foods like the muffin. Coconut oil is something I like for health reasons, tho.

WeimieMom
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:11
I see a lot about whey powders. almond flours, almond oils, coconut oils, etc. .................... My question , after all this rambling, am I missing anything that I should be getting nutrition wise and am not?

Well, it's hard to say. Whey, almond flours, ccn oil etc are all things that allows us to be "creative" when it comes to cooking so that we have a variety of low carb foods. That variety helps us stay on plan. If you are satisfied with your food choices and have been able to lose the weight that you have, then I would say you are doing just fine! Do you feel good? Is your bloodwork OK? What does the doctor have to say about your general health? That's what I would be looking at.

Taking a good multi-vitamin, which I am sure you are already doing, is probably the one thing I would suggest.

Good job!

GOAL210
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:24
I have never taken vitamins, but it is something I have been considering. I keep it pretty simple and the only time I get creative is with spices. Do you know how many different ways you can make tuna taste? :p
Well, it's hard to say. Whey, almond flours, ccn oil etc are all things that allows us to be "creative" when it comes to cooking so that we have a variety of low carb foods. That variety helps us stay on plan. If you are satisfied with your food choices and have been able to lose the weight that you have, then I would say you are doing just fine! Do you feel good? Is your bloodwork OK? What does the doctor have to say about your general health? That's what I would be looking at.

Taking a good multi-vitamin, which I am sure you are already doing, is probably the one thing I would suggest.

Good job!

WeimieMom
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:27
............................. Do you know how many different ways you can make tuna taste? :p

Can you make it taste like chocolate? Now THAT would be a feat! :lol:

cnmLisa
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:28
I don't think you're missing anything.

Whey powder, almond flour, coconut oil etc are just ingredients that add more variety to your daily meals. If your satisfied, losing inches or weight...don't fix it if it sisn't broke.

(I would say this...Atkins...7 pounds from goal...have you found your CCL and CCM yet? If not, I'd start OWL)

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

GOAL210
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:29
I will work on it and let you know. :D
Can you make it taste like chocolate? Now THAT would be a feat! :lol:

GOAL210
Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:38
I wouldn't say I am strict Atkins. I picked that one because it is the closest to what I am doing. I am not sure what CCL and CCM are or even OWL. I do plan on slowly introducing healthy carbs, which I will monitor, once I reach my goal. Right now, it is very low carb. I fear though that if I allow myself a little bit of carbs, the cravings will start again and before I know it, that large pizza won't look so big after all. I know what that will lead to and I don't want to go down that road again.
I don't think you're missing anything.

Whey powder, almond flour, coconut oil etc are just ingredients that add more variety to your daily meals. If your satisfied, losing inches or weight...don't fix it if it sisn't broke.

(I would say this...Atkins...7 pounds from goal...have you found your CCL and CCM yet? If not, I'd start OWL)

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

lterry913
Tue, Mar-08-11, 08:57
I saw the post above about chocolate...lol...chocoholic myself and cocoa has low carbs...you can make lots of low carb snacks with cocoa and sweeteners instead of sugar.

cnmLisa
Tue, Mar-08-11, 09:10
Might be time maybe to look at book. The stage of OWL tells you exactly HOW and WHAT and in what PORTIONS to introduce items back into your diet. The best way to avoid cravings and to identify trigger foods that may be a problem for you.

You may want to peruse the OWL thread that is a sticky at the top of the Atkins forum to find out how to do this.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

zeph317
Tue, Mar-08-11, 10:48
sounds like you're doing a great job. no need to add anything! stay with the whole foods and keep up the good work!